No announcement yet.

your worst three pests

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil Bambi and Thumper, and several blackbirds.
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Pigeons,Slugs & Squirrels
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Pigeons, slugs/snails, and whatever has been gnawing at my kale stalks and sweetcorn.

Comment

Cats, flea beetles, blackbirds.

Comment

at the moment my biggest pest is next door's cat which i'm fast losing my paticence with. When things get going though it's slugs and these nasty black bug things (not entirely sure what they are but they were in abundant on my swede's) and catapillars of what ever species they were!
            Follow my adventures on Twitter: @backyardveggie

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Comment

Caterpillars are mine. I have to peel so many of them off my brassicas throughout the summer.

Also get quite a lot of whitefly. Blackfly was bad last year too.

Oh, and my lovely OH. I love her dearly, but she has right trouble differentiating between a seedling and a weed.
              Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

It varies. At home its slugs but on the plot they're not a major problem - dunno why - I see their eggs everywhere and find them hiding under stuff but they've really decimated anything.

Whitefly seems to be a constant - horrid things. They come home with you and fly round the kitchen and they simply will not drown.

Red ants are a pain cos they're always biting me for no good reason.

This year I expect it will be pigeons and cabbage white as I am ditching the netting as an experiment. Going to try a bit of random planting to see if I can manage without the hideous and bird murdering netting that has been nothing but a bane of my life since I started this whole growing malarkey.

Comment

Aphids, slugs and sawfly. Love to pick them up and "recycle" them!

Comment

Cabbage whites, whitefly on brassicas and wasps.

Honestly brassicas are so much trouble and frequently go so wrong, I don't know why I bother.
                    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Should have to say vine weevil are a bit of a nuisance, particularly in the strawberries.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        Lotsaveg,

So would it be a good idea to throw the big jobbies into my compost bin?

Colin
                        I'd just leave them to get on with gobbling up detritus around the garden. The trouble is they're too obvious and easy to squish. It's those nasty little black and grey slugs that hide in the ground or under stones that need sorting out

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                          Cabbage whites, whitefly on brassicas and wasps.

Honestly brassicas are so much trouble and frequently go so wrong, I don't know why I bother.
                          Don't give up... Ask for a sample of the VeggieThrow covering from sales@dragonfli.co.uk and see what you think.

This stuff really will keep those pests off at a fraction of the cost of environmesh and other woven nettings.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
                            Should have to say vine weevil are a bit of a nuisance, particularly in the strawberries.

valmarg
                            I had a lot of these on my strawberries but carefully cleaning the roots, squashing the maggots and re-potting plants into clean compost will have done the trick. Leave it any longer and you'll have adult vine weevil capable of laying 1000 eggs each!!! They're all females that don't need to mate to lay viable eggs as well

Comment

Slugs, snails and me.

The first two seem to pick the worst moment to launch a midnight raid and always seem for go right for the growing tip.
                              The third gets a bit gung-ho with weeding and occasionally yanks up a plant to the sound of "oops".

Comment

Cats, slugs and cabbage whites. At the moment it's next doors cat which has dug up most of my recently planted onion sets grrrrrr.
                                AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X