grow salad in seed trays?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    Did you look at my photo above? They are full size.
    Yes, but I can't see how deep the trays are - my sense of depth is awful at the best of times

Comment

Seed trays are fairly standard sizes - they're about 5.5cm deep. What depth are yours?
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Last year I just lay a grwo bag flat on a rack in the blowaway and planted loads of lettuce in them, about 12 at any time I think, they grew lovely and large and they could have only been in soil about 5 or 6cm deep.

Comment

Not a clue - think about the same as yours?? I can fit 8 seed trays in my blowaway in theory (if I move all of the empty pots, bits of soil etc from the bottom!) so should have lots of salads.

You know when it says about planting every 3 weeks - I can't figure out how many trays will be on the go at any one time for continuous crops...anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
            Not a clue - think about the same as yours?? I can fit 8 seed trays in my blowaway in theory (if I move all of the empty pots, bits of soil etc from the bottom!) so should have lots of salads.

You know when it says about planting every 3 weeks - I can't figure out how many trays will be on the go at any one time for continuous crops...anyone know?
            Depends on how many you eat!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
              Not a clue - think about the same as yours???
              Well gee, I actually went and measured mine for you.
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                Well gee, I actually went and measured mine for you.
                thanks i don't have a ruler so can't measure but guess they are fairy generic...

Comment

Cut and Grow Again

I am growing marrow fat peas on a bed of 0.5" of compost - peas uncovered as pea shoots . It is working well on spent compost.

Just been planting herbs, and thinking... how much compost do you need for "cut and grow" again salad crops.

Yes, I know i'll have to water more.

Would "recycled compost" work?

Perhaps add a drop of tomato feed once they have germinated just to get them through to harvest

Comment

I grow micro greens/herbs in guttering. quite often it grows quicker than I can harvest and turns into baby leaf salad. It seems happy enough.
                    I grow most of my salad in a patiogro

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	2376735

I spoil my salad a bit because that's what makes me my money so I can buy more seeds for the following season.

Reused compost with a bit of blood, fish and bone mixed in should be fine.

Comment

I have a friend who grows salad in window boxes mostly cut come again.
                      the window boxes are 7cm -12cm and 12cm -22 cm wide.
                      she grows many lettuce and spinach or other so called salad mixes.
                      the varieties she grow are green types, speckled types and reds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X