Will it work?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it work?

I'm on yet another re-cycling mission, this time making self watering tomato pots.
    Pic 1 = Parts: 1 Flower bucket for the plant.
    1 3" pot to act as wick.
    1 old waste basket to act as water reservoir. Or any container with overflow holes 3-4" from the bottom.

1 length of pipe to fill the reservoir.(Not essential)

Pic 2: A hole is cut in the bottom of the flower bucket & the 3" pot inserted.

Pic 3: The finished product with the flower bucket inside the waste basket & the pipe acting as a filler for the water. The reason I said the pipe was not essential is that there is a gap between the flower bucket & waste basket.

The theory is that the 3" pot when filled with compost should act as a wick thereby giving the plant only the amount of water that it needs. I have one question:
    I believe it is common practice to water toms from the bottom & feed from the top, would it be of any detriment if feed was added to the reservoir. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Looks similar in fashion to thsoe earth tomato watering pots, earth trainer or something - idea is the same, so yeah can't see why not! Looks good.

Comment

Ingenious as always BM, I'm sure that should work beautifully.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

The EarthTainer™

Found this website a while back, basic idea is the same and I believe they introduce feed into the water, Hope it helps

Comment

(and I fed mine fro the bottom last year - didn't realise ppl did it from the top - unless not in pots).

Comment

Can't see why it wouldn't work BM it would still be easy to add feed to the soil in the normal way.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Looks good.

Hmmm - my only question is how have you attached the smaller wicking pot to the larger black bucket? I'm just wondering because although it looks fairly stable in the middle photo, once you've filled it with 10L of compost, 5L of water and a 6-foot tomato plant is the larger bucket going to get so heavy that it kind of collapses down over the smaller one? I think the 'commercial' versions have the inner container physically attached to the outer reservoir container so that it takes some of the weight.

Maybe a couple of struts under the larger bucket with the same depth as the wicking pot to support it a bit?

Let us know how it works, would love to give it a try sometime!

Woof
              Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Good point MD, I was hoping the compaction of the soil in the 3" pot would be enough. Like you say extra feet for support or maybe terracotta pots may be the answer. Thanks for that.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I just want to convey my thanks to MD. I had some 40mm pipe lying around so cut 4 legs 3mm longer than the small pot so no strain is on the pot. Filled the inner bucket with compost, the reservoir with 3 lts water & am gonna leave it overnight to see if it wicks ok.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X