Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What chillies to grow to use in curries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robfosters View Post
    Are they all pretty much the same when it comes to using them in curries apart from obviously their spice level?
    No they're not, not at all.

Amongst the chillies I grew last year were orange habanero, chocolate habanero, mustard habanero & yellow fatali - they all tasted different in a curry and all have slightly different heat levels.

Originally posted by robfosters
    So many to choose from, cayenne, habanero's, scotch bonnet.........i'm a little confused as to whats best for curries and also chilili con carne.
    There are indeed a massive amount of chillies and lots are very different in the taste & heat they impart.

If a chilli is too hot for your then do as we do - use half of it (freeze the rest)...

We also grow a french chilli called pimente d'espelette which when dried makes a great hot paprika - used fresh the skins are too tough.

So grow some different varieties, try them in different dishes. (Oh and I've grown naga's & jolokia's bhut (joke) I don't now as they were too hot, I prefer the habs.)
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 17-03-2011, 08:06 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Is it true that the Naga and Jolokia varieties are very hard to grow?
      I wouldn't say they're *very* hard, germination can be a bit more hit & miss and takes a bit longer, plus growing them in this country you really need to start them early as they need a long season.

Apaches are easy to grow, prolific fruiters and I find them a good all rounder for culinary use. I dry them in the airing cupboard and then grind them to make my own Chilli flakes & powder.

I grow a number of varieties, including Naga & Scotch Bonnet and it's just a question of using a bit more or less in any given recipe. I can recommend Naga vodka, it's mind-blowing.
      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        Demon Red mature late in the season, so not much use if you want fresh chillies during the season I guess.
        I like the look of those. Do you keep them indoors or can they handle a sunny patio?

Can all chillies be kept in or out as long as condition are right or are there exceptions for certain varieties?

I have done some research but out of all the things I have ever researched, growing fruit and veg seems to have the most conflicting information out of everything.

Comment

Are you growing for ornamental purposes or are you asbestos mouthed?
          Not at all, I am growing them because my husband complained last year that my chillis weren't hot enough. This will teach him
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
            Not at all, I am growing them because my husband complained last year that my chillis weren't hot enough. This will teach him
            I would warn him before he lets bravado get the better of him and munches on a whole one.

Either that or make sure he's got a good insurance policy

Comment

I tend to use cayenne for curries & chillies. I have grown Numex Twilight as in Two Shed's photo, they are very pretty just as a pot plant even if you don't like chilli, I didn't think they had much of a flavour but others say they're quite hot & spicy so maybe it's just me.
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

birds eye for thai curries because habs/bonnets have a smokey flavor.
                cayennes/jalapenos for pizzas and OH who doesn't eat chillies
                anything else for random munching. I've eaten too many chillies in my life that it takes a lot to get the kick now

Comment

I like the look of those. Do you keep them indoors or can they handle a sunny patio?

Can all chillies be kept in or out as long as condition are right or are there exceptions for certain varieties?
                  Well ... Demon Red take a long season to mature, so I'm not sure they would do well outside a greenhouse.

You might be better with a shorter-season variety - assuming that days-to-harvest is published on the seed packet so you can find a short-season variety
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

One thing that hasnt been mentioned so far is that the scotch bonnet/habanero varieties have a rather different flavour behind the heat. They really are quite fruity and fragrant compared to the brutal heat of the (primarily) Indian varieties.
                    Just remember, to get the benefit of the flavour as well as the heat, you really dont need to use the whole chilli.

As for making chile con carne, I tend to use a variety of different chillis. Ancho's for smooth flavour, smoked jalapenos and a spicy one for heat. Blending different chilli varieties really does improve the overall flavour of a chile

Adam S

P.S This year I have germinating (sown about 2 weeks ago, signs of activity over past few days ) -
                    Habaneros white and mustard
                    Scotch Bonnet Red
                    Numex's Big Jim/Twillight/Joe E Parker/Sauve Orange
                    Chinese 5 Colour
                    Chenzo
                    Ancho Mulatto
                    Takanotsume

Comment

growing fruit and veg seems to have the most conflicting information out of everything.
                      Ain't that the truth!
                      It's because there's more than one way to do something (usually more than six ways, tbh)
                      Also, what works for one plant (or one person) won't work for something else.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It would help if you put your location into your profile

I can usually grow cayenne and Joe's Long outside, except last summer (cool & wet) they all died without fruiting.

Some varieties need more warmth than others. Pick a short shortlist, then google each variety so that you know the needs of each one
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sorted that.

As you can see, I'm probably in a better than average area for this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X