No announcement yet.

Water cress

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver fluke is found in cattle and can travel in to Our water from nearby grazing land.

So I will sterilise the water before planting.

I will also grow from seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      WW,
      I am no expert but I think liver fluke is a disease found in fish.

As to pond cleaning products I would read the contents list very carefully some of them are quite nasty.

My pond as running water so growing cress is much easier. From what I have seen SWMBO makes a hessian bag with compost inside, plants through the bag and then places that in a plastic planter on the surface. The plastic planter is purely to protect the cress from the carp.

Colin
      Originally posted by wetwalnut View Post
      Liver fluke is found in cattle and can travel in to Our water from nearby grazing land.

So I will sterilise the water before planting.

I will also grow from seed.

I like land cress but I fancy having a go at watercress. Fluke is endemic on the landcress that lives in local streams because sheep and cattle drink from them. So I am figuring on using roof water (or tap if I have to.) I've look through some old threads.

My question are:- are there different varieties available or is watercress watercress?
      Is still water just as good as running? If running is better how fast does it need to be? If using still water should it be flushed through every so often?

Thanks.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I grew some in soil in an old cistern under a downpipe from the GH. Everytime it rained, it was flushed through! Started mine from bought bunches of watercress but its not easy to find it with stalks - they seem to sell mostly sprigs in bags and they're hopeless.

Comment

We have watercress growing in a small stream that issues from a well or spring near the back door. However, it rarely grows large like the commercial stuff and is quite fiddly to prepare for the kitchen. Ironically, we had much more success just growing it in compost standing in a tray of water which we kept topped up from time to time. (in the polytunnel)
          More recently, we have simply switched to American Cress/Land Cress, which grows more easily, tastes just the same, and produces more leaf over a longer period. Makes great watercress soup.
          Last edited by BertieFox; 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
            More recently, we have simply switched to American Cress/Land Cress, which grows more easily, tastes just the same, and produces more leaf over a longer period. Makes great watercress soup.
            I think that water cress has that certain "je ne sais quoi" but maybe it only has in in Britain!
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
              I think that water cress has that certain "je ne sais quoi" but maybe it only has in in Britain!
              Actually I have to admit you are properly right! It's a bit like the difference between Sancerre and Chablis (or vice versa). But as I make it into soup, it doesn't make any difference. But I'd have to agree that as a salad green there is nothing quite like a really fresh bunch of watercress!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X