chilli / pepper plant advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claire72 View Post
    I dont have an airing cupboard either, might look on ebay for heated propogators
    might want to check out B+Q
    they had a promo on some of their "Grow you own" stuff this week and had heated pros for £9.82
    B&Q Heated Propagator 1607 Black 38cm, 1607

Comment

I dont have an airing cupboard either
      Top of the boiler? with an upturned (i.e. open at the bottom) polystyrene box on top? Suggest you put a thermometer in their first, on a cooking rack to keep it an inch off the top of the boiler, and double check it doesn't get too hot. I tried that on the "hot" part of the top of our boiler and it got up to 50C! but the "normal" part of the boiler-top gets up to about 20 - 25C)

I have a couple of Gardman 7 windowsill propagators. The thing I like about them is their little 1/4 size seed trays - it fits 7 trays. I bought some extra trays (but not lids) as things come off the propagator when they have germinated, but are often another couple of weeks before they can be pricked out, so I can put the lids on the additional trays to get a production line going!
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

After seeing this, I am really keen to grow some chillis too, do I have to have a heated propogator? I dont have one, but I do have those windowsill propogator units with modules, would that be ok?
        Also, my windows have fabulous deep windowsills and are double glazed, so no draughts, will I still need to bring them into the room every night?
        I have some chilli seedlings doing very well on a small window south facing window ledge in an unheated propagator. And I don't move them at night either.

So give it a go.
        "One who plants a garden, plants happiness."

Comment

I have most of my chillies and peppers on a sunny window sill in the warmth of the house. I also left four seedlings in an unheated cold green house and the night time temp here has been below freezing on a couple of nights. I thought these seedlings would be dead by now but they seem to be thriving. Its going to be interesting to see how they develop. Nice experiment.
          johntheeng

Comment

Thanks everyone, asked on freeshare for a heated prop, but will go for the windowsill if I dont get one.
            As for on top of the boiler, its outside! so not a particularly good place to grow seedlings!
            My windows are south facing, and the onions seem to be doing well there, so there is no harm in having a go with a few pots of chillis there. If it doesnt work, then I wont have lost much, I have the seeds here
            http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Potato Head View Post
              I have some chilli seedlings doing very well on a small window south facing window ledge in an unheated propagator. And I don't move them at night either.
              But Claire is in Scotland !

My windows are south facing, .. If it doesnt work, then I wont have lost much, I have the seeds here
              Chillies need a steady (day & night) temp of 16c to thrive. They may well survive low temps, but it may check their growth. Keep them as warm as you can, within reason - and give them as much light as possible
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

T
                As for on top of the boiler, its outside! so not a particularly good place to grow seedlings!
                Oh dear! Looks like under-the-duvet is the only place left! Don't roll over in the middle of the night though ...
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  But Claire is in Scotland !
                  Ooops! I guess that could get pretty cold.
                  "One who plants a garden, plants happiness."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X