Using "wild" chalk instead of Garden Lime

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Are you sure thats not goldust in that box from Wyvale? I paid about £1.50 for a 2kg bag from my small independant garden centre last year. But in regards to being cheap, even at £5.99 its still cheaper than the fine you would get if some official bod took exception to the chalk being removed. I have no opinions either way as to whether you take it or not, afterall its not my chalk.

Phone the quarry or local farmer and ask them if you can have a bag of the rubble, that way your covered just in case?

Dave
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't live in a chalk area, but thanks for the reminder - I must buy some lime today from B&Q!
      Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
        Dolomite has more magnesium than calcium - I suppose that's why.

I checked up just now and Dolomite lime is actually more like half calcium and half magnesium.

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        I would hazzard a guess and say direct contact, or if tatties were below limed ground the infusion washed down upon them could do it. My auld Dad always used to put a couple of handfulls of peat around each seed tuber and this kept them from scabbing, even though the land they were in was alkaline.
        I think I will try adding some lime well underneath a small patch of my spuds just to see any effect it has, the new spuds should form well above the lime.
        Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Originally posted by dave_norm_smith View Post
          Hi
          Are you sure thats not goldust in that box from Wyvale? I paid about £1.50 for a 2kg bag from my small independant garden centre last year. But in regards to being cheap, even at £5.99 its still cheaper than the fine you would get if some official bod took exception to the chalk being removed.
          Dave
          Yup, 5.99 for a carton. THe only size they had.
          When i was a little kid i used to pick up lumps of wild chalk to draw on the road or paving stones.
          I got no trouble for either the environmental degredation or the graffitti.

But, putting away chidish things, i think you're right about asking permission.

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
            I checked up just now and Dolomite lime is actually more like half calcium and half magnesium.

I think I will try adding some lime well underneath a small patch of my spuds just to see any effect it has, the new spuds should form well above the lime.

Sorta defeats the object dunnit? Lime is easily washed out of the land, thats why to keep an acid area neutral/alkaline you have to keep liming the surface each year and let it wash through.

If you put it BELOW your tatties, by the time they are harvested it will be washed well below accessable levels for any follow on crop I would think.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Builders lime 'hydrated lime' is the same stuff in a different bag.

Many many years ago I worked as a fitter at ICI Tunsted in Buxton one of the largest quarries in europe at that time.

The hydrated lime bagging plant had a supply of many different bags so that if a customer wanted lime from Tunsted its trade name was LIMBUX and that was the bags used. There was another bag with a stag on but memory fades and I can't remember what quarry that was supposed to be.

Many of the allotment associations requested their favourite lime from their quarry of choice, what they got was the same product in a different bag.

Colin.
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                [/COLOR]

Sorta defeats the object dunnit? Lime is easily washed out of the land, thats why to keep an acid area neutral/alkaline you have to keep liming the surface each year and let it wash through.

If you put it BELOW your tatties, by the time they are harvested it will be washed well below accessable levels for any follow on crop I would think.
                This is a patch I only grow spuds on because it's got trees on all four sides. Until the leaf canopy practically covers it in late June the spuds grow really well - I just try to get them started early and on the whole harvested early. I've been growing spuds in this place for a couple of years and seem to have found a reasonably sucessful method. I want to see if the lime below, in anyway helps the potato yield at all.
                Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X