Change of heart regarding peat - a trial

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by valmarg
    Basically, peat based composts gave the best results, so I shall not be changing.

valmarg
    Well there's always a reason to destroy the environment - but sometimes we have to try not to anyway. I shall be sticking with peat free even if growing is more difficult.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

As I see it one of the main things that people complain about with peat free is that if you let it dry out then you can find it difficult to get damp again. Well, maybe I'm being over simplistic but if you water properly then it won't dry out and regardless of the type of compost then the plants will prefer proper watering rather than drown and drought. I've been using peat free (mainly New Horizon) for several years now and find it great. Several surveys show that it out performs the top peat composts (although if you look hard enough you can always find ones to say what you want to justify you're choices) and I'd agree entirely with those findings.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post

Basically, peat based composts gave the best results, so I shall not be changing.
        Oh go on, be a devil

Peat free has beaten 7 of the peat composts : Container compost - February - 2011 - Which? News
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I usually use Wicks Multi purpose compost at £13 for 4 X75lt bags which works out at 4.4p per lt. They have just started selling a peat free also at £13 but only 60lt bags which works out at 5.4p per lt. I think I am going to give it a whirl and see how it does.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            As I see it one of the main things that people complain about with peat free is that if you let it dry out then you can find it difficult to get damp again.

That is certainly what I'm finding.

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Well, maybe I'm being over simplistic but if you water properly then it won't dry out and regardless of the type of compost then the plants will prefer proper watering rather than drown and drought.

No, you are no being over-simplistic but I got caught unawares by having two completely different types of compost in the greenhouse.

As usual, I had been lifting a couple of pots to check for dryness and either watered or left alone ALL the examples of that type of plant.

I realised when some tomato plants wilted badly that I had checked peat based plants and correctly found they didn't need watering so didn't water any plants including the peat-free varieties.

Now I know to check peat-based and peat-free plants separately I'm sure the plants will be back on track.
            The proof of the growing is in the eating.
            Leave Rotten Fruit.
            Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
            Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
            Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
              No, you are no being over-simplistic but I got caught unawares by having two completely different types of compost in the greenhouse.

As usual, I had been lifting a couple of pots to check for dryness and either watered or left alone ALL the examples of that type of plant.

I realised when some tomato plants wilted badly that I had checked peat based plants and correctly found they didn't need watering so didn't water any plants including the peat-free varieties.

Now I know to check peat-based and peat-free plants separately I'm sure the plants will be back on track.
              Yes but the point I was trying to make (probably badly) was that plants need the same amount of water overall regardless of what compost they are in. If you use peat based compost then you can often get away with being lazy and not watering properly as it will allow you to rehydrate from really overdry. However, in reality the plant would have benefitted from an earlier bit of water. With peat free you have to be more careful but the plants will thank you for it

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'd just like to assure anyone who is reading this thread wondering whether to go peat free that it really is no more difficult to use than peat based compost. A recent Which Gardening study showed it works just as well. New Horizon is a good buy - and garden centres often have a three for two offer so it isn't any more expensive.
                However the cost to the environment is negligble compared to peat which is extracted from wildlife rich peat bogs in Ireland and the Baltic states and results in large amounts of carbon emmissions.
                It's a no brainer really.

Comment

The biggest user of peat in Ireland are the power stations.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    I usually use Wicks Multi purpose compost at £13 for 4 X75lt bags which works out at 4.4p per lt. They have just started selling a peat free also at £13 but only 60lt bags which works out at 5.4p per lt. I think I am going to give it a whirl and see how it does.

Ian
                    The Wickes in Caerphilly's batch is crap, Ian.. all woody.. I bought a load of bags of it last year - stupidly did it again recently.. I'm mixing it with other stuff at the mo, and re-composting whatever else looks "partially" cooked.

Comment

Thats strange Chris because their peat in compost I find to be a very good standard and I would have thought they would have had similar standards for their peat free.

In fact when I found out they were producing it I must admit I was tempted so thanks for the heads up.

Colin
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Just bought a couple of bags of B&Q peat-free and I must agree it looks extremely woody. It's actually the standard of my second youngest compost bin. Not at all impressed. I've used it to mulch up some things but that's as far as I would throw it. I'm doubly disappointed because I also bought a few of their peat-free growbags; and if it's the same standard, then I'm doomed . I may risk some courgettes in them - they'd grow in anything right?
                        I need to give this new horizon stuff a bash. Sounds good and if it's highly recommended by Two Sheds? .... That'll be good enough for me !
                        Clay soil is just the big yins way of letting you know nothing good comes easy.

Comment

Ps Teakdesk I'll happily share my progress with the courgettes ..... If I remember!

Comment

Well, picked up some B&Q peat free the other day. Used it today, and boy does it STINK. Not sure that's quite right. Mixed in a bit of a grow bag, only repotted 4 toms - gonna give them a week before doing the others to see if they curl up their toes or anything!

Comment

Pps.... We really do need to find alternative substrates, because at the rate the world is burning it... There'll be sod all left.
                              No pun intended
                              (well, maybe a wee bit )

Comment

The simple answer for gardeners is to make your own. There's really no excuse for not having compost heaps and leaf mould cages. I currently have over 100 assorted containers filled with healthy veggies and the bulk of the compost is home-made with a few cheap grow-bags chucked in. It does take a few years to get it all organized but it's worth it for the cost benefit alone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X