Growing your own shallot sets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing your own shallot sets

Might be a stupid question but.....if I want to create my own do I just pick out the smaller shallots and dry them? Do I have to pick them a little earlier? I have 3 sets of shallots to put in this week but wanted to know a little more before I put them in.

I don't know, might be a disease issue like potatos. However I popped into my local Aldi yesterday and picked up a box of shallot sets for £1.50 - bargain!

Comment

I was in my local GC yesterday and shallot sets were £2.99 for about 15ish (I tried Aldi but if you're not fast, you're last in Inverness!), I thought I'll just do seed but 50 seeds were £2.49 (Unwins Gro-sure) and £2.19 (T&M) respectively as they were F1's (and therefore useless for collecting seed for the following year) Disheartened I gave up and thought at an average of 5p for growing each one (that provided they work) I was willing to gamble on supermarket ones this year. 15 single shallots for 79p in one supermarket (can we name names?) £1 for 8 larger ones in another supermarket and two packs of fartichoke tubers for 75p reduced to clear.

In these times of poorness, I'm willing to risk a raised bed or two for the good of some trials!

Also in my defence each box of sets in the GC had at least one going mouldy and I thought surely supermarket ones are better than that!?

Comment

Got some reduced to clear seed tatties in the GC yesterday though. £2 for a 2.5k bag of earlies. They took a bit of careful detangling with a scissors...on a positive note there's no chitting to do!

Comment

Don't necessarily pick out the smallest,make sure you pick out sound bulbs without any sign of disease or rot. No special treatment needed at harvest time. Just make sure all the bulbs are properly dried off and then store in a dry, cool but frost free place

Comment

Not always viable to use supermarket shallots as they are (especially the French) often sprayed with a growth inhibitor. Saving your own sets is the best way to go.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by katymac View Post
              Might be a stupid question but.....if I want to create my own do I just pick out the smaller shallots and dry them? Do I have to pick them a little earlier? I have 3 sets of shallots to put in this week but wanted to know a little more before I put them in.
              Yes I hear you can. Never done it meself but I think I might this year if I have enough room. Got some from wilkos in the ground already and a load of small ish ones from last year.
              As has been said just dry them as you would for storing.

Originally posted by Vixxihibiscus View Post
              Got some reduced to clear seed tatties in the GC yesterday though. £2 for a 2.5k bag of earlies. They took a bit of careful detangling with a scissors...on a positive note there's no chitting to do!
              Are the chits long and white? If so, sorry to put a dampener on things, but you need to remove them and start chitting again. They need strong, short stubby chits, if they're white they'll have sprouted without light and will be weak and leggy.

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                Not always viable to use supermarket shallots as they are (especially the French) often sprayed with a growth inhibitor. Saving your own sets is the best way to go.

Ian
                I bought some lovely shallots from Costco a few years back just to grow them on. They had clearly been treated with something to prevent them growing as not a single one even had any sign of a shoot. Makes you wonder what we eat sometimes.

Comment

I save and re-plant shallots every year - no problems at all. I last bought some 5 years ago....
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

If you are saving shallots for re-use just remember that planting small shallots usually gives a small number of large shallots (2 or 3). Planting large shallots usually gives a larger number (up to 10 ish) of small shallots.

Just remember large gives small and small gives large!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm growing shallots for the first time this year, and certainly intend to save my own sets. As for disease issues like spuds, as mentioned by someone above, I'd've thought it'd be o.k. for a few years at least, as it is with spuds, before getting new stock.
                      Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        If you are saving shallots for re-use just remember that planting small shallots usually gives a small number of large shallots (2 or 3). Planting large shallots usually gives a larger number (up to 10 ish) of small shallots.

Just remember large gives small and small gives large!
                        Interesting. Mine (From Wilko, intended for planting) are pretty big, the size of smallish onions, and at least twice the size recommended by Joy Larkcom in 'Grow Your Own Veg.' as the maximum, so I should get loadsa tinies!
                        Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                          Interesting. Mine (From Wilko, intended for planting) are pretty big, the size of smallish onions, and at least twice the size recommended by Joy Larkcom in 'Grow Your Own Veg.' as the maximum, so I should get loadsa tinies!
                          ..................Which is just what you want for a Greek Stifado dish or pickled onions!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            ..................Which is just what you want for a Greek Stifado dish or pickled onions!
                            Stifado......absolutely beautiful!
                            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
                              I save and re-plant shallots every year - no problems at all. I last bought some 5 years ago....
                              Smae for me .... I just keep back a few each year and re-plant late Oct/early Nov ...growing very nicely now despite the terrible winter.
                              Last edited by AntonyM; 28-02-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X