No announcement yet.

Chitting parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As soon as they're showing plant them out. You don't want the root out growing the tube and there'll be more down there than up here

Comment

When I chitted mine in a plastic box in the airing cupboard, I wasn't able to get them planted as soon as they produced a root. So some of mine went out into the rows all tangled with roots over an inch long. I thinned out the seedlings when they appeared and ended up with some fine, straight parsnips. Gave some away to my lottie neighbour and the same happened to hers.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by sarahspatch View Post
        At what stage do you plant them out and when?
        Like Shadylane I put mine in the ground as soon as I see a bit of green.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

After reading what gojiberri and bren said about sowing in loo rolls, I think I'll try that this year...I won't give up!!
          I grow mine in newspaper pots - sheet of newspaper folded in half and wrapped around an aerosol can, then "fold in" the bottom. These are taller (about 6" - 7") than loo rolls which I think helps. Same principle though

At what stage do you plant them out and when?
          I plant out the moment the third leaf (i.e. the first true leaf) shows. That's about 3 weeks from sowing (assuming it is warm enough for reasonably quick germination).
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks for that everyone, will definately try growing them in tubes. Will give the newspaper rolls a try as well.
            My old pops has a nifty device for making nice neat paper pots, but they won't be deep enough for this.

Comment

My old pops has a nifty device for making nice neat paper pots
              One of those really expensive, snazzy wooden, mould sets?

If so best not to upset him by seeing you at work with a humble spray can!
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                One of those really expensive, snazzy wooden, mould sets?

If so best not to upset him by seeing you at work with a humble spray can!
                No not one of those....its like a thick plastic cup with templates...it involves a lot of cutting out and then dunking in water, then you wrap the wet newspaper around the mould and..hey presto!!

Its very nice and neat, and if I had the time I would borrow it more often.
                Ideal to make a batch on a rainy afternoon.

But I'm all for trying out an easier option if it saves time!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X