Potatoes very big gamble

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slugs and potatoes

has anybody ever used Bio Friendly Slug Banish to prevent slug damage to potatoes?

Comment

Originally posted by cliff top View Post
      has anybody ever used Bio Friendly Slug Banish to prevent slug damage to potatoes?
      I haven't but I have used slug nematodes which are also bio friendly and they really do work.

Comment

I don't find I get slug damage on my spuds, think they're too busy eating my salad crops

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Will be planting mine in April this year.

Put my FE's in in March last year and half of them rotted due to soil being too damp and cold....

Probably gonna chuck FE's, SE's and MC's in at the same time.

Comment

Farmers in Braunton plant out and earth up their early's mid Feb if it's not too wet. Braunton great field is 1 of only 2 open field systems left in the country. Plus it is right by the sea (a big help) with well drained sandy soil.

Comment

well I have planted 10 rows of potatoes outside and will do 4 tomorrow, I know it sounds daft but was working in teashirt today had to take junper off as it was to warm, ground is wet to damp depending which plot I am on, peolpe planting their sharrots and onions, and most will follow me 1 week later s always.

marion

Comment

I noticed the farmers had the fields ridged up for spuds y'day. Unsure if they've planted yet, but it won't be far off
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm in Norfolk and I planted my first earlies yesterday. Used a trowel to sink them individually to a depth of 10 inches and then covered them with fleece. When they start to come through I'll put another 4 inches of soil on top.
                  Last edited by Lotsaveg; 20-02-2011, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotsaveg View Post
                    I'm in Norfolk and I planted my first earlies yesterday. Used a trowel to sink them individually to a depth of 10 inches and then covered them with fleece. When they start to come through I'll put another 4 inches of soil on top.
                    10 inches seems very, very deep for earlies -any reason why?

I plant mine at 3 - 4 inches deep in a coldframe, I use the assumption that the quicker they get their heads above ground the quicker they'll start to photosynthesize and grow.
                    If frost threatens I’d earth them over then to protect them or cover the frame with black plastic.
                    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

I'm in Rotherham too! I planted some earliers under fleece beginning last march and the frost still got them! However, I didn't think the frost affected yield or flavour, they just took an extra couple of weeks.

steve

Comment

Those earlies I planted in the frame are just starting to show -looks like it might get a bit colder next week even here, so far we've escaped with a low of 0.1C a few days ago.
                        Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X