Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monsanto's Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases, Endangers Human and Animal Health

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
    What particular journals are acceptable? Who are the 'peers'? All very well saying be scientific - but as King Carrot says how will you know who's funding the science?
    For me its a question of degree.

Some links to other sites that are clearly not related to the person writing the article is a start.

Links to papers from organisations that I have heard of would be better.

Links to demonstrably academic institutions (i.e. that I have not heard of, but can determine that they exist and are "respectable") are good.

A peer-reviewed article in a magazine, with citations, where the publication is respectable - such that I can assume that the citations actually exist, rather than having to check them myself - carries weight with me.

(Yeah, the "Himalaya glaciers will be gone in a few months" was incorrectly stated [copied without being properly checked] in just such a peer-reviewed article, but I think that was just sloppy, and it did come to light)

It is trivial, by comparison, to set up a website to have a rant about something, and I expect a good number of people reading it will be taken in because it "looks official".
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Monsanto Roundup states on its own labeling (as does any Glyphosate based product) words to the effect that it is toxic to aquatic life.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi everyone, i'm new here and thought i'd chip in..I have used round-up in the past, and have some in my garage.

As far as i know there are no weedkillers that are particularly nice. Certainly the most effective ones.

I have noted recently that roundup doesnt even suggest wearing a mask or gloves on the bottle, so they seem to think its safe. They do recommend washing any off the skin as soon as possible.

I understand farmers have been using industrial strength glyphosate in its pure form for 30-40 years, with no known effects that I have been made aware of- there may be some, but not that i have heard of.

At my work we sell roundup pro biactive in 5ltrs, the only restriction is that we have to ask if the buyer is a professional user, there's only two answers to that question! no other checks are made. This particular product is three times the strength of normal roundup, but with the addition of an added chemical to give it 4 times the strength.

I recently came across a large local building company that were applying two 5ltr bottles of R/up pro biactive to ground before putting down concrete floors on houses they were building. Their buyer said it was done to 'stop japanese knotweed'. Very worrying indeed!!

In short, and to avoid any more waffling!!

I reserve judgment on whether roundup is harmfull to humans and the enviroment. I dont think we will know for definate (in my lifetime).

I am however only going to use any man made chemicals where absolutely un-avoidable.
        Will be buying a gas wand weed burner.
        <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
          When I started working in forestry forty-odd years ago we would regularly use herbicides containing 2-4-D and 2-4-5-T which are active ingredients in agent orange, the defoliant used in the Vietnam war. Sometimes I got drenched with the stuff and it brought on rashes and heaven knows what else. One of the reasons why I'm against the use of such things now.
          Hmm - someone once told me that Agent Orange was given that name in order to inhibit the Vietnam war poets writing about the effects (and hence somewhat minimise the bad press)!

They could have been winding me up though!

Woof
          Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
            ...I have used round-up in the past, and have some in my garage...
            I have noted recently that roundup doesnt even suggest wearing a mask or gloves on the bottle, so they seem to think its safe. They do recommend washing any off the skin as soon as possible...
            been using industrial strength glyphosate in its pure form for 30-40 years, with no known effects that I have been made aware of- there may be some, but not that i have heard of...
            At my work we sell roundup pro biactive in 5ltrs, the only restriction is that we have to ask if the buyer is a professional user, there's only two answers to that question! no other checks are made. This particular product is three times the strength of normal roundup, but with the addition of an added chemical to give it 4 times the strength...
            I reserve judgment on whether roundup is harmfull to humans and the enviroment. I dont think we will know for definate (in my lifetime)...
            When I took my Spraying Certificate, we had to make sure we read and understood the information on the label of any product. Including safety clothing recommendations. Monsanto Round-up Pro-Biactive, states that gloves should be worn at all times, and a mask also, when handling the undiluted product. We were also made to wear spray suits or waterproofs, rubber boots and masks when spraying.

There must be a reason for this...
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              When I took my Spraying Certificate, we had to make sure we read and understood the information on the label of any product. Including safety clothing recommendations. Monsanto Round-up Pro-Biactive, states that gloves should be worn at all times, and a mask also, when handling the undiluted product. We were also made to wear spray suits or waterproofs, rubber boots and masks when spraying.

There must be a reason for this...
              Hi G4...sorry, i've not been that clear above. I meant normal everyday roundup that the general public use just suggests washing hands, you are indeed correct in that the pro version DOES recommend this.

I would personally like all users of the biactive pro roundup AND standard roundup to use PPE.

You would have thought if the professional roundup is dangerous surely the slightly weaker version sold to the public would also be.

Before finding this site i thought roundup was a perfectly safe, harmless chemical..i'm no longer as convinced.
              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X