No announcement yet.

Defrosting parsnips in the ground

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It made it above freezing briefly last Wednesday so I managed to get carrots, parsnips and swede out the ground. The top couple of inches was solid but after you got through that it was OK. Left the sprouts until Christmas Eve but had pulled the leeks a week or so ago as they tend to be the most difficult to get out when frozen. Was very proud of having totally home grown veggies on Christmas Day although forgot that OH's family don't eat much veg type stuff so WAY over catered

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I managed to pull all the snips i needed on crimbo eve, the first inch was a bit hard but underneath was ok.
      No supermarket snips this year
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Bit late now but four kettles of nearly boiling water and a lot of tugging and we got enough parsnips out for christmas dinner. Ours were only in a tub too!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          pulled the leeks a week or so ago as they tend to be the most difficult to get out when frozen.
          You could always just slice them off at ground level; they'll regrow too
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I had to use the kettle and pot method on Christmas Eve and pulled just enough for dinner. Plenty left and the ground is not frozen any more.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              You could always just slice them off at ground level; they'll regrow too
              But that would have meant that I'd have left 90% of the white bit in the ground which was the bit I wanted

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

This thread prompted me to go and dig my parsnips. This is what I found:

Comment

Nice one! Hope it was tasty.
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X