leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
    A dibber makes a hole in the compost like sticking your finger in!

For planting leeks I use a wooden stake and bash it in the ground about 6 inches deep. The leek is then carefully placed in this hole with the roots underneath (they tend to sprawl about a bit), then fill the hole with water. Job done.
    Is this 'roots underneath' the same as Nicks green side up or is this a different technique?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Someone else on the 'Vine recommended sowing them in toilet rolls.

I am trying a modified version of this. I sowed single seeds into paper pots and slotted the toilet rolls over the paper ports. In this way I don't have to struggle sowing down a 1/3-full roll.

The rest of the theory goes that when it comes to planting time, one just have to make hole and plant the t/r inside. Water goes inside the t/r and as the leek grows the t/r can be fill with more soil. That should yield a reasonable blanched steam as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Thats exactly what I do and most of the potleek growers who grow for show, also do!

It's all to do with the strain of the leek, which is bred to have a certain amount of white (6" in Newcastle for two leeks, and 5.5" in Northumberland for three leeks to a tight button) Once in the ground, blanching a pot leek does little to lengthen the white!

Blanch leeks are a different animal though and they are 'blanched' with all manner of apparatus!
        Snadger, pardon my southern softy ignorance but what have buttons to do with leeks?
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X