Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a street lamp affect my windowsil tomatos?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a street lamp affect my windowsil tomatos?

Hi, i just started growing plants such as tomatos and strawberries on my windowsil, however there is a street lamp at the exact same level (i am a few floors up) and straight infront of my window.
    Would this affect my plants ability to "wind down" during night time since there is a constant light source pretty much on them 24/7.
    If so how would this affect my plants, would they end up growing less becoming stumpy?

I'm afraid it's far too dark for these plants to grow now. Your street light won't cast enough light for them; neither will these dark December days

I'm sure you'll have a good go though
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ah, yeah hehe i'll try my best then!
      guess ahving this light is just an added bonus then

Comment

I think you'll find they get very leggy (long and thin) due to lack of light. It's not just the presence of light it's the quality and number of hours. I'm overwintering a couple of tomato cuttings and already I've pinched the tops out. They are so gangly I'd be ashamed of them in April but my intention is to keep the tops nipped out and then use the side shoots as cuttings in spring. I certainly wouldn't expect to get tomatoes from them any time soon!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As others have said, the street light is unlikely to effect the growth of these particular fruits.

The onset of flowering in some plants can however be upset by night time lighting, even if these light sources are reletively weak. The presence of light interferes with the plants production of hormones that control flowering by making the plant "think" it is a different time of year.

Comment

If it's a sodium lamp (orange colour) it should make no difference as it has a very narrow bandwith or spectrum. Other lamp types may have an effect but you could always put an inverted pot or something over them at night just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
              If it's a sodium lamp (orange colour) it should make no difference as it has a very narrow bandwith or spectrum. Other lamp types may have an effect but you could always put an inverted pot or something over them at night just to be on the safe side.
              Yeah it's one of the older orange ones, guess i shouldn't let it bother me then =)

Comment

As has been said , it is the quality of light that is important for tomato plants, I would not worry about the street lamps, but I would worry where you plants will go when they are bigger. Most people who sow too early, and I am talking about Jan or Feb here, do get trouble with leggy plants due to low light. Later sown plants would be stronger and soon catch up.
                The only way some people do manage is in a heated conservatory.
                What usually happens with leggy plants is that the trusses will not set, so even though you might have healthy looking plants, they will not always produce earlier.
                Last edited by Tomatoking; 10-12-2010, 08:36 AM.
                Mr TK's blog:
                http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Producing earlier wasn't my main thought when i decided to grow them, it was something just to keep my occupied in the winter months so i don't go crazy

Comment

Well thats no problem then, the street light will probably help. lol
                    Mr TK's blog:
                    http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
                    2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Originally posted by Leeds_lad View Post
                      it was something just to keep my occupied in the winter months
                      that's understandable. I have a tray of grass on my lightest windowsill (for the guinea pigs' Xmas dinner: there's some hemp in there too)
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I tend to do sprouted seeds in winter. Alfalfa is still my fave - tastes like peas!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Leeds Lad, I've a few tomato plants I'm trying to keep alive through Winter - only one, a sprig of Gardener's Delight, is still showing - the others have died off. I'm still keeping the pots in the kitchen, though, in hopes they may revive in better weather/light nearer the spring.

Flummery's suggestion seems a good one and it might help your plants - I'm going to try it with my one remaining brave shoot.
                          My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X