No announcement yet.

Broad Beans And Frost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sowed about a month or so ago and about 2" high but they look fine. Temp last night in my garden -13C.

Comment

Timing is all important with sowing broad beans in winter. The beans need to swell and start growing before they are subject to extreme cold. If they swell and then freeze the growing tip will die and the bean rot. They need a constant temp of around 5deg to start growing so don't even think about sowing in the current climate even in a greenhouse unless its heated.

Ian

Comment

I just went to check on mine at the lotty now the snow's melted: most have germinated, and are about 2" high
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The children put some in for me about 4 weeks ago, but the snow is so thick, I can't see yet whether they have come up or not!
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

My lotty broadies are now 5" healthy, stocky and strong-looking.

The greenhouse ones got frosted (Violetta - it's not as hardy as Aquedulce anyway) so I cut off the blackened stems and now they're shooting from the base again. I'll plant them out soon

One of them I left to grow tall (it's too leggy really, can't support itself) and it's thanked me by flowering
            Attached Files
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X