Welsh or branching leek

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh or branching leek

Does anyone know anymore or where I might be able to find seeds or plants, or maybe even a real name for it?

I heard about this leek at a talk I went to on Friday and it is a leek that sends out 'branches' which can be eaten or rooted and grown on. I'm very interested in finding out more if anyone can help
    www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

What was the talk?

There are bunching onions, which are also known as Welsh Onions; and there is the Walking Onion which forms bulbs at the top and they fall over and root; and the Potato onion which multiplies underground; but leeks are leeks!

Leeks will form bulblets on the flower head if they lose the flowers.....also called leek grass - and these will root if the stem falls over. They will also form bulblets at the root base if the plant is trimmed off and these will grow on and become larger as they grow.

Comment

Sounds like welsh onions to me? I had bunches of them on my allotment when I aquired it. After tasting them I dug the whole lot out and binned them. Very easy to grow but tasteless!

Extremely mild onion taste, grow similar to large chives!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've got some Welsh onions on my plot which I really like, use them more as a garnish though as they are mild.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks all, I've googled welsh onion and it looks like this is what was being talked about.

Zazen - it was a talk about seed saving
          www.alifelesssimple.wordpress.com Up-dated Regularly

Biodynamic grower in training

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X