No announcement yet.

Do you talk to your plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I regularly thanked my sweet peas this summer for giving me such beautiful flowers

But I swore horribly, vulgarly and very regularly at the brassicas because they couldn't repel the cabbage root fly maggots and fight them off.

There was a very interesting Mythbusters programme repeated on telly recently which showed them doing an experiment to find out whether plants grow best depending on whether they're spoken to nicely or horribly, or whether they've been played nice gentle music or thrash metal:

"The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all despite somewhat dying, because the battery died on one of the timers that was watering the plants."

Hmmmmm!
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

I quote Alan Titchmarsh when planting out new shoots and seeds by saying "Now grow yer b*gger, grow!"
      Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

Sad gits! Nope, I draw the line at talking to plants...........worried they may answer back!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

They c2o we breathe out they breathe in and apparantly it makes them grow!

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
            I remember reading back in the 70's that some Canadian scientists tried playing music to their plants and found(allegedly) that they responded better to classical music then to heavy metal. Maybe I should get my bagpipes out and see what that does for the plants. I'm pretty sure I know how the neighbours will respond.
            I'll get MY bagpipes out in the garden and even though the plants might love it, the neighbours might not!

Only cause I've not played for over a year now and am badly out of practice. Cause obviously when I'm on form the neighbours AND the plants would love it
            Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
            www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

I don't usually talk to them but I do give them a little tickle as I go past to let them know that they're loved.

Comment

Years ago I made an experiment: I put one cactus next to one of my large speakers and blared Metal out all the time - this one grew much faster than all the others *G*

I often talk to my plants, always have done.
                Sinmara on Deviant Art

Comment

Originally posted by Sinmara View Post
                  Years ago I made an experiment: I put one cactus next to one of my large speakers and blared Metal out all the time - this one grew much faster than all the others *G*

I often talk to my plants, always have done.
                  Was it trying to get away, do you think?
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Was it trying to get away, do you think?
                    I hope it was just liking the music lol but you never know.... my dog loved it too, he would actually go away when I didn't play Metal.
                    Sinmara on Deviant Art

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X