No announcement yet.

What nuggets have we learnt this year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 It's a myth that sparrow numbers are declining rapidly! The little perishers have all moved here and taken up residence in my hedge!
    2 I need to construct permanent cages over my raised beds to stop said sparrows from eating my lettuce, spinach, chard and radicchio.
    3 I must grow far more French beans, chard, cavolo nero.
    4 I'm rubbish at radishes. And carrots
    5 Onion sets just don't produce for me, I shall try seed this year instead.
    6 Chillies like the greenhouse, tomatoes like the polytunnel.
    7 I must educate (ie NAG) the husband into just putting garden waste onto the current compost bin!
    8 Forget about aubergines

Overall , we have had reasonable crops, chillies especially! Only the 2nd season, and there is alot to learn, so more planning over the winter, and come on here to pick up tips.
    Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

1. Don't leave someone in charge of my greenhouse when you go on holiday. Every plant in it mixed up without labels.
      2.Weed your Onions with the obsession of someone with an OCD (250 planted 248 harvested).
      3. Get the tea making facilities right.
      4. Edge my beds. All the ones that aren't got invaded by the grass paths.
      5. Learn some recipes. There has to be more to red cabbage than pickling..
      Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good!

Comment

That there is never enough time in the day to do everything. I always thought (when I had a regular job) that when I retired my garden would be immaculate with all the extra time I would have. I am now semi retired and still have weeds and a list of jobs as long as your arm.

Ian

Comment

Never underestimate the determination of the cabbage white butterfly. Despite careful netting they have still got at my sprouts . Luckily i still have lovely sprouts, but the leaves and tops look like netting.

Comment

i learned that the driest spring on record for this area gives my bramleys bitterpit and seems to have made the treatment of scab on the other apples ineffective,but,scotland with no rain..who would believe it..

Comment

I've learnt that it's better to slightly underwater than overwater, especially seedlings!

Basic stuff I know, but I tend to drown some of my poor plants when I'm in a hurry and watering in the morning before work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X