No announcement yet.

Do you waste your plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veg-wise, I have three beds on the go which I rotate each year. I put all my wintering stuff (leeks, perp spinach, spring greens, parsnips, chard, kale, brussels, PSB, onions, garlic, radiccio, mizuna) in one bed and then manure and dig the other two so that they recover and get back their nutrients.

Come the summer I've then got one non-manured bed for the stuff that doesn't like manure much, like carrots.

This works for me, and I'm now self sufficient in veg all year round.

It is frustrating to see plots left to do nothing over the winter, but its just as important to replenish the soil in my opinion.
    Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

My plot has some over-wintering brassicas and leeks, plus the garlic is in. Some of the beds have been sown with green manures (first year I've tried this), the one that wasn't will simply be covered with landscape fabric and left until spring.

It's a nice idea, being able to use the plot all year round, but I think having about one third in use over the winter works well for me. When I had an allotment, the site often flooded in winter, so couldn't use it at all
      Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
        Veg-wise, I have three beds on the go which I rotate each year. I put all my wintering stuff (leeks, perp spinach, spring greens, parsnips, chard, kale, brussels, PSB, onions, garlic, radiccio, mizuna) in one bed and then manure and dig the other two so that they recover and get back their nutrients.

Come the summer I've then got one non-manured bed for the stuff that doesn't like manure much, like carrots.

This works for me, and I'm now self sufficient in veg all year round.

It is frustrating to see plots left to do nothing over the winter, but its just as important to replenish the soil in my opinion.
        I believe in organic nutrient replemishment and creating a good tilth,but cant understand how manuring a plot then letting the winter rains wash the nutrients out again is beneficial?
        The soil is more likely to recover if after harvesting one crop, either manure or lime is added to the land and another crop sown/planted to bind the soil and make use of the added nutrients.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I like to burn alot of winter waste on our plot over the winter,until early January, then dig over 2 or 3 times throughout January and February, allow to rest for 6 weeks before I begin sowing and planting for the summers cropping season.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            I believe in organic nutrient replemishment and creating a good tilth,but cant understand how manuring a plot then letting the winter rains wash the nutrients out again is beneficial?
            The soil is more likely to recover if after harvesting one crop, either manure or lime is added to the land and another crop sown/planted to bind the soil and make use of the added nutrients.
            Sorry, should have been clearer. I dig the bed over once its cleared and then leave until after Christmas, so the frost will break the soil up. Normally manure it towards the end of January.

I do leave a bed for a while to rest though. Not based on any thing scientific by the way, I'd just imagine its knackered.
            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X