No announcement yet.

Gardeners World last night

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched the programme last night and I thought it was absolutely fascinating! In a strange kind of way, like how watching a programme about wee aliens living on Mars might be fascinating. Y'know, remote from your own life, but fascinating nonetheless. I'm normally not a big fan of GW because there's a lot of stuff on there I don't find relevant to me and my garden, but I was well chuffed to see a whole programme devoted to veg and would love it if there were more programmes for just veg.

But, oh! The Welsh guy was just LOVELY, and even though I can't see myself ever caring a hoot about whether two carrots look the same, I loved his enthusiasm - he's the kind of guy you wish was your grandpa when you were wee!

It certainly looks a very expensive hobby, and I thought it was interesting that not one person on there mentioned how the veg actually tastes. That tattie woman ... I mean, I'd love to know what she did with all that stuff which, at the end of the day, is actually FOOD. It looked like a full-time job for her that's for certain. Maybe it was just her manner on TV, but she didn't come across like she actually enjoyed it all that much? It would have been nice to hear a remark like "dinner last night was lovely cause our beans and tatties taste braw".

Although I can't see myself ever going down that veg showing route, I can see how it could be addictive - it's the quest for (so-called) perfection when controlling so many variables.

However, if I can just get my spring cabbages successfully through winter without them dying, I'll be happy!
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
    www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

I emailed GW to say how much I enjoyed the show and could we have more veg please. Perhaps if we all did that every week 'they' might get the message.
      The Essex potato shower did actually say that her hobby IS expensive but at the end of the day they ate the produce, but no mention of the taste. I have heard Medwyn Williams talk and he insists that the mammoth stuff he grows and shows tastes good too. I'll let you know when my carrots are prize winners

Comment

Originally posted by Suky View Post
        I emailed GW to say how much I enjoyed the show and could we have more veg please. Perhaps if we all did that every week 'they' might get the message.
        I'm up for that! Power to the people! Okay, that's on the task list - thank you for the suggestion

The Essex potato shower did actually say that her hobby IS expensive but at the end of the day they ate the produce, but no mention of the taste.
        Ah right, I must have missed that one. Glad they're eating it and not composting it though!
        Diagonally parked in a parallel universe!
        www.croila.net - "Human beans"

Comment

You should check Beechgrove Garden on iPlayer, it's the Scottish equivalent to Gardener's World. They covered fruit and vegetable plants a lot more than GW did. The series has ended though, so it won't be back until next year.
          Last edited by MalUK; 13-10-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X