No announcement yet.

Sprouting seeds to eat

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alice - I spent years doing sprouting mung beans with the jam jar and it worked well (we could never get bean sprouts up here for stir fries until Safeways arrived). I have NEVER been able to grow mustard and cress. I know it sounds ridiculous and even school children do it. It never sprouts or if it does it just all curls in on itself. So perhaps the vermiculite might be a good idea.

Can someone tell me do you sow the seeds under the vermiculite or on the top? and would you still put some kitchen towel on the bottom? What sort of pot/dish etc do you use?

I have to get to grips with this one, it is denting my confidence! How can I grow sprouting broccoli if I can't grow mustard and cress!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I'm going on holiday Jennie, so going to leave that project til I come back. But I'm going to try them all ways and will let you know how it goes.
      I would think the wet paper on the bottom, covered with the vermiculite and seeds sown into that - but we shall see !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
        I found basil (recommended for sprouting) went slimy - there was a mucus layer around the seeds. (YUK!) However, I have a pack of mixed seeds for sprouting, which include fenugreek which is a bit spicy. Alfalfa's still my favourite.
        Thats what happened to mine.On the pack tells you to sprout in jar but have since read in T & M catalogue best started in compost

Comment

I'll give that a go Lyndap, thanks.

Flum
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X