I've been blighted

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomatoking View Post
    In Theory you are right Womble, but it could over winter in a potato that has not been affected by frost. Which is probably why it never goes away, even though frost will kill it.
    This how i see it, but I could be wrong.
    As soon as I wrote it, I wondered why it didn't die out. I was under the impression that it did die out in this country in the winter and blew in from the continent, where they have milder weather in the winter.

But you're right, I forgot about the chance of overwintering in potato's, which of course is living material.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
      Blight needs living material to survive on.

The last time I checked, although it was possible (theoretically) for blight to survive overwinter in this country, so far, not one reported case has been identified. Please correct me if this has changed.
      Originally posted by womble View Post
      As soon as I wrote it, I wondered why it didn't die out. I was under the impression that it did die out in this country in the winter and blew in from the continent, where they have milder weather in the winter.

But you're right, I forgot about the chance of overwintering in potato's, which of course is living material.
      That you for incorrecting me anyhow Womble.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
        That you for incorrecting me anyhow Womble.
        Feel free to take offence for something I didn't think was offensive.
        You said it could survive in the soil, which it can't. Unless living tubers are down there.

Oh and according to this.
        Late Blight Alert for Tomato and Potato
        blight can't survive in tomato seeds either.
        Tomatoes wll not carry late blight over the winter, because freezing kills the whole plant. Tomato seed, even from fruit that was infected with late blight, will not carry the pathogen
        It's written in New England which I don't think is that different to us.

As I said, when I last checked, the special spores needed to make blight survive over winter, had been theoretically pronounced possible by tomato scientists, but none have ever been found in the wild. But that was a year or two ago that I checked that. So as I said, if you've heard differently, please tell me.
        Last edited by womble; 23-09-2010, 01:48 PM.

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

My tomato plants got destroyed by blight one year, so the next year I grew two blight resistant varieties (Ferline and Fantasio, and I believe "Legend" are also resistant). No problems

Comment

Thank you for for your kind words Womble. I apologise for my botched and clumsy attempt to help this newbie...

Silly me! I forgot myself there...I did remember why I don't bother posting much on this site anymore.

Comment

Sorry for pointing out to you that you were wrong.

Comment

Get a room you two

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X