Planning on beans (for drying) for next year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is such an interesting thread!
    One question from a relative beginner - how long can you go on growing beans in the same site - how often will they need to be rotated?
    Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      So many questions!
      Leave them on the plants until the pods lose colour and go crispy - and bring them in and finish them off indoors - under newspaper, in the airing cupboard, on tables in trays [anywhere really]....and when the sound of the beans changes from thuddy to cracky [you WILL be able to tell] then you can store in lovely jars and gaze lovingly at your beans.

I'd say, suck it and see - grow a few of each and see what suits.
      Have you ever uprooted whole plants to bring in and hang/dry, before the pods have gone crispy, with any success? With the current wet weather I am finding that my bean pods are getting close to dry and leathery but are just rotting away with grey mould and the like and taking the beans with them.

Am now running out of pods for a couple of the heritage ones that just had ten plants, and am worried I might lose the chance to grow them again if I leave them out, but also want them to actually be ready to save/germinate next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidbun View Post
        Have you ever uprooted whole plants to bring in and hang/dry, before the pods have gone crispy, with any success? With the current wet weather I am finding that my bean pods are getting close to dry and leathery but are just rotting away with grey mould and the like and taking the beans with them.

Am now running out of pods for a couple of the heritage ones that just had ten plants, and am worried I might lose the chance to grow them again if I leave them out, but also want them to actually be ready to save/germinate next year.
        No, as they get close I take them in and put them into trays to finish off.

I also pop a fleece over them to keep the frosts away.

My neighbour left runners on his plants and then went and died; so I was taking the pods off during the winter - even with snow on the ground - all manky and mouldy - but inside the beans were fine after a day or two indoors.

Comment

I've done the same, middle of the winter, taking out old bean plants, completely mouldy pods and cascades of perfect beans falling on the floor.
          On the other hand, this year I've had beans rotting in pods after bringing them in to dry, they were grown in a shady place though.

You need to find the point for that particular bean when the time is OK to take the pods and bring them inside, too early and the beans will shrivel up to nothing and be inedible (or seed worthy), too late and the beans will fall onto the ground.

I reckon that the tipping point is generally when the pod goes soft and floppy, you can take them off and bring them in then.
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

The oddity amongst your pea beans might actually have been a cross. I find that beans do cross rather readily - commercial growers say they don't but if you grow organically (don't use insecticides) they do. I usually tip the crosses into a separate jar for 'mixed beans' and only grow on from those that don't look crossed up - they still could be though, as they won't show up till next year.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks, both, am feeling less stressed about it now!

Am dying to see if I have any weird crosses too!

Comment

Last year I had some Painted Lady(climbing runner bean)donated by the Grape.Never grew runners before so picked them up too late-pods were tough and stringy,inedible.Beans inside tasted great so decided to get some growing for dried beans.This year I grew some Hestia(dwarf runner)hoping for some dried beans-pods were stringless,so needless to say I've got no beans left!
                Anyway,I'll back up Jacob-if you know any bean variety good for drying that matures quickly(location)please let me know

Comment

I think my very favourite is Bird's Egg - a borlotti type climber. It yields well here ooop north and tastes really good in casseroles.

Comment

Flum,I never came across the bean(dried) that wouldn't taste good
                    Or maybe it's just me hoovering everything
                    Just gurgled Bird's Egg bean and look what I found Beans and Herbs another website to bookmark

Comment

If you want some let me know. I'm saving them for the seed saving circle here but I'm sure I can spare a few more! It's not just the taste with these, they have a lovely creamy texture.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        If you want some let me know. I'm saving them for the seed saving circle here but I'm sure I can spare a few more! It's not just the taste with these, they have a lovely creamy texture.
                        Only if it's not a trouble for you,I wouldn't like to interfere with the seed circle.
                        That would be nice,thank you

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                          I found Beans and Herbs another website to bookmark
                          That's where my original bean stash came from Now I save my own from those babies
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've learned so much from this thread. I was thinking of starting a thread about how to dry beans (for use as seed) and now there's no need - this thread has Everything You Need to Know about Drying Beans.

Thanks everyone.
                            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                              Only if it's not a trouble for you,I wouldn't like to interfere with the seed circle.
                              That would be nice,thank you
                              No prob - I saved masses!

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                                this thread has Everything You Need to Know about Drying Beans.
                                and this one has how to cook with them
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X