No announcement yet.

Parsnips in flower buckets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Womble, the main reason I grow them in flower buckets is that I can start them off in the greenhouse quite early and then move them outside. I just seem to get better germination that way and they suffer no disturbance from transplanting. I can also bring them back in when hard frosts are forecast and get fresh parsnips when the ground is set like concrete!!

Also, when you've got 2 herniated lumbar discs and knackered hips the idea of digging bucket-size holes in the ground brings tears to the eyes.

Comment

Are the buckets the square ones that the bunches of flowers are resting in? I saw some of them empty in my local Asda, but wasn't sure if they were the correct ones? Who do you ask for them, just any old store bod?

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
        Womble, the main reason I grow them in flower buckets is that I can start them off in the greenhouse quite early and then move them outside.
        I am inspired and plan to have a go at this next year as the soil on my plot is very rocky and not ideal for parsnips. How early is early? When did you start them off in the greenhouse?
        http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Needed a p......p for dinner so grasped the nettle and emptied one of the pots. Wow - what a buzz I got. I am delighted with my very own homegrown.

there is also a few split root ones but am not going to show them off
          Attached Files

Comment

They look good Brengirl think I'll have a little dig around the tops of mine we could do with some to go with tomorrows roast.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Good on you Brengirl. At this rate we'll be starting a parsnips in buckets sub-forum

You could always use the split root ones in soup.

Gemma, I would normally start mine off in the greenhouse in March but this year was so cold I waited till the first week in April and staggered the sowings over the following 3 or 4 weeks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X