Horsetail problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    they dislike being shaded and don't compete well with taller plants...

I'm also sowing green manures to try and crowd it out
    I've read in a couple of old gardening books that sowing turnips really thickly will get rid of horsetail if you leave them to flower and seed and come up again for a year or two - don't know if it works - horsetail doesn't grow round here much.

Oh, I see that's what it says on your link, rustylady - must be a bit of truth in it then.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I've pretty much defeated it in my garden. I've dug the ground over twice (and really dug it out - at one point the mount of soil was higher than our patio doors) - all the stuff back in has been riddled. Haven't seen it in the greenhouse either this year

Comment

It went down at lest 20 foot when a hole was dug for a septic tank by the side of out allotments. So the chance of digging it out is remote. If you don't mind using chemicals then you can keep it under control with repeat applications. I find that if you keep pulling it up so it does not swamp your plants then it does no harm. If boiled it can be used as a fungicide.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          Oh, I see that's what it says on your link, rustylady - must be a bit of truth in it then.
          eh?

???????????

anyway, we get charlock all over the place here: it grows thick & tall, alongside the hosstail
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My father in law was a coal miner in a drift mine in Durham, and a keen gardener, and he used to tell me tales of marestails (as it is called here) 60 to 70 feet down. They seem to be pretty indestructable. All you can do is keep them under control or learn to live with them

Comment

Just don't worry about it - it takes its nutrients from very deep therefore doesn't compete in that way with your plants. I have loads of it on my plot and I just keep pulling it out and binning. Actually I find it quite fun to see how long a root I can get in one go

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Davyburns View Post
                ... he used to tell me tales of marestails (as it is called here)
                A lot of people do indeed call it marestail, but that's actually a different plant, an aquatic one Hippuris vulgaris

Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) is the bristly one you get on wasteland
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

pull it up and either drown it or leave it to bake in the sun. It's actually a rather good fungicide if you boil it up and strain the liquid off
                  Gill

So long and thanks for all the fish.........

I have a blog http://areafortyone.blogspot.co.uk

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop.

Comment

we have had horsetail problems for years,but last year i let the chickens loose on that area,saw no sign in the spring and none since,so we now get the chooks to do it for us,they enjoy digging up and eating it all,but lift any small plants that you want to put back or they will eat them too,and they will fertilise the ground for you, if you can get hold of some..gotta be better than chemicals if you do use chooks..sadly not an option for some...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X