Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toms dropping off

Hello All

My first year growing toms in the greenhouse and they are doing really well - loads of toms that are ripening at different rates but some have started to drop off. Ripe and unripe. I thought it might be birds knocking them off as I found bird poo and a feather in the GH but they are still dropping even after I hung mesh over the door. The couple of plants I have in baskets outside at home arent doing it.
    Am I doing something wrong or is it normal?

BB

well its not normal no , are you keeping up with the watering?
    what type you growing?

Comment

I've got Sweet Olive on the go in the garden (against a nice warm wall) and having the same thing, you only have to walk past the plant and cause a breeze and the just ripening toms fall off (with their green 'stalks' still attached) ...the rain was even knocking them off this morning! They are in a planter so I thought they may be a bit dry (but the plants/leaves are not drooping or anything) but they've had water and feed (in moderation if I'm honest!) and rain but are still doing it! Toms are ripening lovely on the window cill, but would still be interested in what might be causing this too.

Comment

I have Gardeners delight. Roma and Tumbling tom and they are all doing it. I have kept up with the watering and feeding every week. Same as LolaLou - stalks attached.

Comment

It might help if we could see a picture of the plants. The only time I have seen this is when plants are getting near the end of the season and are slowly dying for some reason.

Mr TK
          Mr TK's blog:
          http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/
          2nd Jan early tomato sowing.

Video build your own Poly-tunnel

Comment

Oooh - no idea how to do that but will take a pic and give it a try in the next couple of days.

BB

Comment

I hope I have attached a pic of toms in GH. Could it be overcrowding or growing in pots that is causing toms to drop?
              Attached Files

Comment

Thats better now I can see more what the problems could be.

First of all spacing, tomato plants for the best yield should be 18" apart, the ones at the back are also shaded slighty by the front ones, so next year less plants but more fruit.

The closest has too many leaves taken off it, if the plants have more room you can also leave more leaves on. Just take the leaves of to level with the bunch you are picking from. You could also leave a few below that at the back of the plant if they were still healthy leaves.
                Only at the end of the season when you are really trying to get the fruit to ripen a bit more, should you really remove most of the leaves.

Having plants well spaced, you are also less likely to get disease as there is better air circulation.

The leaves that are left on the plant are quite light green, so this could be lack of nutrients or slight over watered. it is best to water post little but often.
                You do have quite a few toms there so you havent done too bad.

I hope this helps a little, if you look on my blog you will see how I tend to space and leaf my plants. You can also see my new toy LOL.
                Mr TK's blog:

Comment

Originally posted by BB48 View Post
                  I hope I have attached a pic of toms in GH. Could it be overcrowding or growing in pots that is causing toms to drop?
                  Don't know about anyone else, but for me, half those tomatoes I can see in the picture would already have been picked and eaten.
                  "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                    Don't know about anyone else, but for me, half those tomatoes I can see in the picture would already have been picked and eaten.

PMSL here

Mr TK
                    Mr TK's blog:

Comment

Thanks Mr TK - great blog by the way. Boys and their toys eh!

This is my first year with a GH so still a learning curve but with all the great help on this forum I should do better next year. I have even learnt how to post photos so no stopping me now!

thanks again
                      BB

Comment

I can only eat so many in one day Womble! Is it best to pick them when ripe or leave on until ready to eat? I did pick all the ripe Roma today and plan to slow roast them. Which is the best way - low oven for hours or high heat then turn off and leave overnight?

Comment

Originally posted by BB48 View Post
                          I can only eat so many in one day Womble! Is it best to pick them when ripe or leave on until ready to eat? I did pick all the ripe Roma today and plan to slow roast them. Which is the best way - low oven for hours or high heat then turn off and leave overnight?
                          I like to pick them when are perfectly ripe, which for me is when that particular variety has the best taste, a little bit of experimenting will tell you that.

Then I put all the ones I can't eat into the fridge where they will stay at perfect ripeness longer than on the plants, where they will just go overripe and soft, blegh.
                          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X