No announcement yet.

Slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More snails than slugs but all in all too many of both!
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Not as many as two years ago, but still too bl**dy many

Comment

Um...hardly any, of either...I love slow worms

got lots of blackfly though if anyone wants them?

Comment

I have one that lives under my washing machine.
          www.squarefootishstartergarden.blogspot.com

Comment

Lots of slugs but 3 times as many snails!! (They are much more satisfying to squash )

Comment

not too many slugs this year as it's been too dry and after last years debarcle with the spuds ( I lost 70-80% of my spuds) I bought nema slug & haven't seen more than about 10 all year.still putting organic pellets around the brassicas though as the snails aren't affected by nemaslug apparantly and as they are all netted don't pose a threat to wildlife.
              don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
              remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Slugs and snails have decimated my crop this year. Next year I'm covering all of my plots with Nemaslug. I don't care how much it costs, I'm gonna kill those little ****holes cos i'm sick of seeing these slug holes!

Comment

Originally posted by maypril View Post
                  Slugs and snails have decimated my crop this year. Next year I'm covering all of my plots with Nemaslug. I don't care how much it costs, I'm gonna kill those little ****holes cos i'm sick of seeing these slug holes!
                  Nemaslug is a good product (although expensive) but only continues to work if the soil is damp, if it dries out then the nematodes die off and you're back to square one.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Over the last couple of months, I have been using crumbled eggshells, with quite a lot of success, I have friends and familiy collecting them for me. They tell me it also breaks down into calcuim, so its another plus

Comment

Slugs are the bain of my existence in this patch!!

Oh and caterpillars!!

Comment

I've just salted 4 big fat slugs, out in daylight, the cheek of it.

If I'm still awake after dark falls, I'll be out again with my pot of Saxo
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Nemaslug is a good product (although expensive) but only continues to work if the soil is damp, if it dries out then the nematodes die off and you're back to square one.
                          I find a 4 inch straw mulch helps keep the soil moist enough and allows the nemalug to continue working,without excessive watering
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
                            I find a 4 inch straw mulch helps keep the soil moist enough and allows the nemalug to continue working,without excessive watering
                            Mulching is always a good idea although I don't to use straw much as I'd have to buy it and over the size of my plot that would be excessive. I do use newspaper and home made compost though which really helps although there was nothing that would have solved the problem back in June when the soil had turned to dust / concrete

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Yep, loads of those 'orrible big orange/brown ones.I hate them!
                              Last edited by lettucegrow!; 08-08-2010, 04:10 PM.
                              Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I haven't seen hardly any slugs this year,maybe it's a combination of a hard winter,quite a dry summer here in the south east and i keep putting the old chicken straw down as a mulch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X