Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you Bean there and done that? Bean advice needed plz!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think we are going to try a couple of the soya in the greenhouse, and the rest in the sheltered spot behind it, so we will see how they get on! Of course we will let you know!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
      Yes I'd be interested in hearing about the soya beans. Hessayon reckons they are hit and miss in our country and as you are a little further north then I am. I was thinking of trying chick peas this year.
      Chick peas grew for me in Leicester one year, but I moved house before they were ready to crop so don't know about that bit. Plants were pretty though!

Comment

I have grown soya beans, kidney beans, black beans etc, all from Holland & Barrett's soup mix. There are soya beans that do better in the UK
        At risk of sounding like an ad for Thomson & Morgan: Ustie variety - the full T&M description is: "A breeding breakthrough! Soya Beans specifically bred to suit the British climate. Plants are day length neutral and grow quicker as hotter weather commences. Flowers are insignificant but 100% self pollinating (no insects required). Soya plants are unusual because the leaves feed the pods, then the leaves fall off when the crop is ready, often leaving just brown stems with lots of hanging pods from late September. The pods remain weatherproof during the autumn, just pick as required. Alternatively shell all the beans and store in airtight containers. Soya is pest and disease free so ideal for organic gardeners. Please note: This variety is 100% GM free
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Mrs D - sorry it's taken me a few days to get back on the forum.

The soya bean is indeed Ustie and grows outside in a quiet corner with absolutely no bother at all. Just ignore them until it's time to harvest, although they can benefit from a little support.

Climbing french beans are best grown individually, but that's only so you know which seeds are which for saving! French beans don't cross easily, so as long as they aren't twining around each other, yiou can save the seed quite happily. (Runner beans and broad beans are another story though - dreadfully promiscuous, just like squash and corn!)

Blue Lake Bean and Blue and White Bean are regular climbing french beans,
          Kentucky Wonder Bean is perfect for round the outside of your three sisters patch, and if you put the Pea Beans on the inside you don't hae to worry about harvesting green beans and can just let them get on a ripen for drying without having to fight throgh the stand of sweetcorn.

Lima Beans need warmth though, so I'd put them in the greenhouse - they like to climb too and will twine around your greenhouse uprights if you don't give them enough canes (says she from experience...)

Mini D'Or Dwarf French bean and Royal Red Dwarf French bean are best sown in root trainers and planted out - dwarf beans never work for me if I sow them direct.

Carlin Peas and Victorian Purple Pod Peas are both from the Heritage Seed Library last year - eat the purple ones fresh, and let the Carlins ripen for drying and making into pease pudding and the like. They grow tall though!

I grew some chickpeas a couple of years ago, and they grew well, lovely feathery foliage. Not that I got to eat a single one, mind, as there's only one pea per pod and the mice got to them first! Lovely dwarf plants though.

Hope that helps.
          Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Brilliant Kris, just the info we needed! I know you were good enough to put whether it was Dwarf or climber on the packets, but I just wanted a bit more info, so as to make sure we grew them right, and knowing the joy of having a new arrival in the house i didnt want to bother you directly, so thanks for the help, and the wonderful seeds!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Thanks Kris when can we plant them sorry got itchy fingers wont to do it now but know i have to be pasiont it is sertanly teaching me to wate
              I keep saying Groooooooo to my seedling
              Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
              Dobby

Comment

I know exactly what you mean about itchy fingers, I'm dying to get sowing stuff, but my new arrival is demanding all my attention at the moment. Need to find someone to hold the baby... bad mother or what?
                Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

No your not a bad mother seedling are important I wont to go down the plot and do some digging but its too wet
                  so ill have to see what i can plant in side Mrs D is out at work
                  Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                  Dobby

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X