No announcement yet.

Really poor potato harvest

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i purchased a bag of seed potatoes reduced to 50p have put them im in potato sacks and they are going great, loads of leaves and just starting to flower, will be intresting to see how many spuds i actually get

Comment

At the moment I daren't look, but I'm glad to have read this. My potatoes are charlotte. In the last couple of days I've decided to water everyday with the water from the dishes to try and bump them up. I've got 6 plants and they are massive. As someone else said my toms are going well, just hope they keep it up its normally the other way round in my garden, good potatoes and poor toms.

Comment

My earlies have been fine but they have been watered a bit as they were grown in the polytunnel. My main crop aren't putting as much top growth on as they had this time last year which I find a bit concerning but like most of the rest of you I have no water to spare to water them and we're desperately short of rain round here. Will have to see.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

So glad I am not alone on this

I have about half the amount of spuds per plant that I had last year. Mind you it rained constantly here last summer so I am not complaining really
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

This is our first year of growing potatoes, so i have now gauge to compare too but i was expecting a few more from what i have cropped but in no way am i dissapointed with them
            2 plants will do 2 meals and i likes me spuds so i would say 6 - 8 fair size golf ball to apricot sized tubers per plant

Comment

This is the first year I've grown spuds - I harvested my Vales Emerald a couple of days ago. No flowers, and the haulms weren't obviously dying back, but they'd been planted 14 1/2 weeks previously and I gather that 13 weeks should be enough?

They were in a potato growing sack and I think there were 4 seed potatoes planted in there.

I had lots of potatoes, it seemed, but most were embarrassingly small. Total crop was about 500g. I guess I should have waited?

My charlottes, which were planted at the same time, are still snugly in their bag - think I'll give them another couple of weeks.

Confusingly (for me, anyway) one of my maincrop bags (roosters) has started to flower, but they shouldn't be anywhere near ready yet?

And the rain we've had today should mean I don't have to water ANYTHING for ages and i now expect plump veg
              Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

After furtling around in all my containers, it seems like the Charlottes are coping best with the lack of water. The yields still aren't huge, but it's noticeably more than the others.

Comment

Hi,
                  I posted another thread about my spuds which I managed to get much better results from after waiting an extra week from the first furtle .... Its the first time I have grown them so I didint know what a "normal" harvest is - I thought the 750g yield I furtled today was good and the plants are still growing - but I cant see having myself getting 1-1.5kg per plant average reported above (this particular sack had 4/5 seeds in).. as this is my first year of growing spuds any edible result is good for me and I thoroughly enjoyed my little harvest.
                  Last edited by cazp; 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

cazp, If these are normal size potato growing sacks I found that 3 plants per sack actually gave the highest yield but you obviously need more sacks, more compost and more space if you do that.

Comment

A really interesting point is that the wild tatties from last year have survived the snow and frosts and have produced significantly more potatoes this year. My purchases from Tattieman next year are Charlotte and Sante. I've got some Maris Pier in at the moment but I'm not expecting much.

Tattieman,when should maincrop King Edwards and Isle of Jura be ready for lifting if they were planted at the end of March?
                      Last edited by Lazgaot; 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM.
                      My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                      My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                      My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                      My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

I have so far lifted only 2 plants and was disappointed with the amount that each gave, only half a dozen moderately sized spuds and a few grape sized on each.
                        I thought it was just me, but maybe, just maybe it was the seed potatoes being sold this year that just havent done so well. I got mine from Wilkos.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Very poor yields from my tatties, but the bonus has been that they've been very tasty this year!
                          Garden Grower
                          Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by Lazgaot View Post
                            A really interesting point is that the wild tatties from last year have survived the snow and frosts and have produced significantly more potatoes this year. My purchases from Tattieman next year are Charlotte and Sante. I've got some Maris Pier in at the moment but I'm not expecting much.

Tattieman,when should maincrop King Edwards and Isle of Jura be ready for lifting if they were planted at the end of March?
                            The way this year is going makes it hard to say when they will be ready.
                            I just normally look for the shaws dying off with the maincrops as we usually store them. There should be something there from mid August onwards. It depends how big you want them.
                            Potato videos here.

Comment

we harvested the first pot yesterday so they have been watered quite regularly but still only 1.4kg from seed potatoes. These were arran pilot.

Comment

Yesterday I lifted 4 plants for a look-see and got almost identical results -
                                Red Duke of York - 2 plants, 3.95kg, no small tubers.
                                Highland Burgundy - 2 plants 4.15 kg, a few small tubers.
                                I'll be satisfied if the rest produce the same - have 30 plants each of Red Duke, Highland Burgundy, Edzell Blue, Rooster and Kerrs Pink.
                                Rat

British by birth
                                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X