No announcement yet.

Little brown holes in my peas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a wonderful pea harvest this year BUT a lot of the pods that laid on the ground got the exact same symptoms as this.

Pea moth it was Thanks people
    All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
    For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
      does it depend on when they're sown for what part is attacked?
      Only asking because I did one lot early, and all the damage so far is limited to the pods.
      I wanted to sow another lot for later in the year, but I'm not sure when the moth is active, or when to sow to expect another crop before it's too cold.
      I am a pea virgin for the most part, I've only grown them two years running and only sown them early.
      It always attacks the flower - but then, because the middle bit in the flower becomes the pod, they are already in! No need to burrow. That's why it's hard to guess which pods they are in from looking at the outside. They are less active early and late in the season.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Do the flowers have to be pollinated or could I cover mine next year with fleece to stop them getting in ? My entire pea crop has been attacked by them and they were such lovely peas.

Comment

Peas are self-pollinating. Fleece them during June and July
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Fantastic news !! Thank you.
            I have germinated another crop which I will be putting into the ground this week. Do you think I should fleece them now just in case ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              It always attacks the flower - but then, because the middle bit in the flower becomes the pod, they are already in! No need to burrow. That's why it's hard to guess which pods they are in from looking at the outside. They are less active early and late in the season.
              Ah, that explains why I can never find a hole in the pod.

Terrible year for me, this one. It's been getting worse year on year and to top it all I've got pea weevil as well.

I want to just build a enviromesh covered garden sometime
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Womble, I've had a brilliant pea crop. I sowed early to avoid the moth, then in June I covered the flowering peas with a length of voile (whipped it off again once the peas had set). It seems to have worked well.

More info here: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techni...s/pea-moth.htm
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

What sized peas are those though, I grow tall peas, not sure it would be easy to cover those up.

I sowed mine early as well, but as they are taller, the flowers take longer to come out. The mangetout which flowered earlier seem to be better, but then I never checked inside the pods...... Mmmm I wonder what we ate.
                  "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I've only very recently signed up here (been reading this forum for a while though) and you just helped me find out what was happening with my peas! It's the first time I've found diddy maggots in my peas and now, thanks to you, I know what they are and what to do to prevent them getting in next time! Thanks xxx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X