So what will you all be using?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    The straw is a bi-product of wheat or barley production. Are you and your farmer friend saying that wheat or barley fields are sprayed with aminopyralid to kill off broad leaved weeds? If so this would mean anyone eating barley/wheat based products including bread or pasta would be excreting aminopyralid also!
    This brings using urine in the garden into consideration!
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
      veg growing needs vast amounts of manure to get started and enough after that to keep going...
      Oh!
      It's a good job nobody told my allotment that: the (abundant) vegetables might go on strike
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Someone has pointed out that it's not actually licensed for food crops, so really it shouldn't be on the straw. But a good few farmers have sworn that their animals have only been fed 'clean' feed, and the only thing they have bought in is straw! So there's something wrong there somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Oh!
          It's a good job nobody told my allotment that: the (abundant) vegetables might go on strike
          Well maybe I should have said ideally. Stop ganging up on me

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            Someone has pointed out that it's not actually licensed for food crops, so really it shouldn't be on the straw. But a good few farmers have sworn that their animals have only been fed 'clean' feed, and the only thing they have bought in is straw! So there's something wrong there somewhere...
            Are the pellets they feed animals overwinter not made from silage? This could be a possible source of the contamination rather than straw or hay?
            Once again, more questions than answers (wasn't that a rather apt song title?)
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
              Well maybe I should have said ideally. Stop ganging up on me
              I'm on your side womble............lashings and lashings of FYM as far as I am concerned!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just a little comment here in a big debate.
                I was tempted to go for a farmyard manure offer in my local GC - one of the big chains by the way - so I asked the manager about what checks had gone on for aminopyralid contamination. This was in the car park. He said "wha???" - he had never heard of it and he really wasn't concerned either way. Needless to say I didn't go for the farmyard manure 3 for 2 offer.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  Just a little comment here in a big debate.
                  I was tempted to go for a farmyard manure offer in my local GC - one of the big chains by the way - so I asked the manager about what checks had gone on for aminopyralid contamination. This was in the car park. He said "wha???" - he had never heard of it and he really wasn't concerned either way. Needless to say I didn't go for the farmyard manure 3 for 2 offer.
                  I think this is the problem with farmers and other producers of manure (not the actual producers, you don't get much more than a neigh or a moo from them), I've asked a couple about it and expected them to know and they'd never heard of it and weren't interested in the slightest.

So while I agree with the advice to ask your manure man about it, I don't honestly expect many people to get a decent answer.

Comment

I've spoken about this with loads of people [as I am sure you can guess] from farming/hort/agriculture and the amount that have just 'heard there have been some problems' is astounding.

The only people that seem to care are the ones that lose their crops.

Comment

As my auld Gran used to say " There's none as blind as those who don't want to see"........or something like that!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X