No announcement yet.

hosepipe ban.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd fill up the water barrel with a clean conscience (and probably get a second barrel on the go) - like other folks have said, you'll be watering still in any event and this way will be less labour intensive.

(How do you find out about hosepipe bans btw?)

Comment

Originally posted by black olive View Post
      I assume filling the watering can from a tap doesnt count ??
      I think that's OK!
      ..anyone 'in the know'????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Do be aware that the water will be diverted from Windermere- which is already low....goodness knows what effect that will have on the local environment.
        It's Ennerdale Water they'll be taking it from, as long as the lake doesn't dip below a certain level

Comment

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use a hose to fill up water butts during a ban. The ban is for direct watering of the garden, basically forbidding people from watering lawns and beds for hours on end, and wasting gallons .

Comment

Just for info

The Water Act of 1945 carries an exemption for allotments under this ban as they are not large consumers of water. However, the hose pipe ban does cover household hose pipes, sprinklers, washing motor cars, and filling pools other than those containing fish.

Comment

Just found a website as well that might have some useful bits and bobs:

Hosepipe Ban

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                Just for info

The Water Act of 1945 carries an exemption for allotments under this ban as they are not large consumers of water. However, the hose pipe ban does cover household hose pipes, sprinklers, washing motor cars, and filling pools other than those containing fish.
                Well, I have 2 small 'pools' for my ducks... I shall still be filling those up, regardless of a ban! And I'll be using a hosepipe to do it, so there!!

Comment

According to Yorkshire Water, their/our reservoirs are at 75% at the moment, and no danger of a shortage. Although, I very rarely use a hosepipe anyway - our allotments have no running water at all. But my collected rainwater is down to less than 500litres, so I might be carting it down there soon if we don't get some... Thankfully, some is forecast for Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidbun View Post

(How do you find out about hosepipe bans btw?)
                    it was on the news.

Originally posted by black olive View Post
                    I assume filling the watering can from a tap doesnt count ??
                    trouble is on the allotment, the taps are set down in the ground, so I need some sort of hose to fill even a plastic bottle or watering can.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
                      Just for info

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1945...9450042_en.pdf

Any legal types out there who can make head or tail of this???!!!

It would be handy to be able to quote where it says in the Water Act that it is ok to use a hose pipe on an allotment when trouble comes calling.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

We have a hosepipe ban every year.
                        We're the driest area of the country.
                        I've never used a hosepipe on my garden or my lotty.

It can be done.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          We have a hosepipe ban every year.
                          We're the driest area of the country.
                          I've never used a hosepipe on my garden or my lotty.

It can be done.
                          I normally let mother nature do the watering but I think she's gone on strike this year.

Comment

Im not sure if its true or not, but.....

ive always been told that it doesnt count as using the hose to water if you water the garden with a watering can.... continuously filling it with the hosepipe into the watering can!

Technicaly you would be watering with the can..... filling can with hose
                            Last edited by starloc; 24-06-2010, 08:39 PM.
                            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I filled my two butts today....with a hosepipe in expectation of a ban coming in by the end of the month. It still seems bl**dy ridiculous to be living in Cumbria and be short of water. Last time it was like this we walked the bed of Haweswater to see the drowned village.

Comment

The chances of getting caught are very slim. I don't think there are many prosecutions. However that's not the point.

The hosepipe bans are in place to conserve water when it is low. If the water isn't conserved then an Emergency Drought Order will be issued, the water supply will be stopped and standpipes will be installed in the streets! It's everyone's duty to conserve water in times of drought.

Conjuring up sneaky loopholes to get around the ban is despicable. Think of the abuse you'll get from your neighbours as you're queuing up at the standpipe to get your water!

I know the water companies don't do enough to prevent the water shortages, but wasting water to spite them won't do any good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X