No announcement yet.

Wilkinson onions now 10p

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd suggest if people want alliums for flowers they buy the alliums bred for flowers. If people want to chance their arm with cheap wilkos sets for eating, they cloche them come the autumn to try and prevent the above happening.
    Bulb producers would be happy with that outcome, but as they are of the same family and can be dual purpose, then I'm happy getting my garlic and onions to produce food and also flower when I want them to.
    Last edited by zazen999; 13-06-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigginDebs View Post
      I picked up a pack of onion bulbs last week from wilkinsons (mine were 31p) I put them straight into my front borders and a few empty pots, most have shoots already and I was feeling hopeful until I read this post :'( .......... I'm not likely to get any onions from them then ?
      Sounds like they are off to a good start. They are growing, so maybe just look forward to smaller onions this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dottie View Post
        Bulb producers would be happy with that outcome, but as they are of the same family and can be dual purpose, then I'm happy getting my garlic and onions to produce food and also flower when I want them to.
        That's ok as long as you know that you will lose the onion for food if you leave it to flower. It's not like garlic which an be dual purpose. And you aren't worried about the colour, or get upset if they rot away.

Comment

I would plant the Wilco's cheepo's one inch apart and use them as spring onions throughout the summer!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

They were 5p a bag at the Wilkos I was at yesterday!

I didn't buy any
            "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X