Got my first Blight warning!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigShot View Post
    Anyone used organic controls with any success?
    There aren't any preventions that are really organic that make any difference, you either use varieties which are resistant, spray or hope. I go for a combination of the first and last ones and have my fingers firmly crossed. Interestingly enough blight warnings (and they're only warnings that the weather is right, not that there is blight about) at this time of year are normal, for my postcodes there have been some about now for the past few years but it's been the ones later in the year that have given me the problems which have led to actual blight. Still got some outdoor toms to plant out yet anyway

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My outdoor toms are outdoors now (well, some of them anyway - and I might increase their number by rooting some sideshoots). I'll be gutted if I lose them - they look in fine order right now.

As for organic controls - there's something which I believe isn't certified for commercial growers but seems to fit the general ethos... compost tea with added microorganisms.
      I can't find any more detail that that though so I don't know where to start.

I found a comfrey tea recipe the author "swears by" but now I have no clue where it is. Shame really. Right now I'm almost tempted to spray with holy water to put my mind at ease!

Comment

There is this article about compost tea and milk as organic controls.
        Fighting Late Blight Without Chemicals
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

I've read something about horsetail helping to prevent blight... Something about the high silica content of horsetail? Might be worth bashing some up in a bucket of water and giving it a go as a spray - if it fails, at least it won't harm earthworms as well!

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere on here lastyear that someone used seaweed as a preventative...I can't find it for love nor money this year.

Comment

Here you are Horsetail fingicide:-

In a plastic bucket put the horsetail, leaves stems and rizomes, Bash it about to damage it. Add 2pts of hot not boiling water to each ounce of Horsetai. and leave for 24hrs. Strain and spray undiluted. How often to use it didn't say but I would think that frequently would do no harm.
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I got an alert yesterday too with a warning: full smith period.

no idea what that means?

Comment

Some more info to muddy the water even further.

Sprays for pest organic control | Grow Organic Food

It says that urine is an fungicide. So if I make a urine nettle/compost tea and spray it, that may help.......?
                  I think Mr Flowerdew says do that anyway, as it helps strengthen the plants immune system.

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Womble - I think that one (the link in post 18) is one of the ones I was trying to find. The last link you posted is a good'un too.

Milk sounds like a slightly pricey way of doing it, maybe a bit cheaper than chemical sprays but not exactly cheap. Cheaper than buying seed AND buying spuds from the supermarket but still.

Sarz - I'd heard that too, intended to try it and then forgot. I've got a few bits on my plot and a load on next door's. I'll check first, but I'm sure he won't mind me cutting a load to the ground. The great thing is if it works I can stop worrying about and fighting against the stuff - it'll be lovely to see it growing and be able to think "cool, free blight control!"

Riotelet -Thanks for the recipe.

I'm glad I asked now. What a great forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      at this time of year are normal, for my postcodes there have been some about now for the past few years but it's been the ones later in the year that have given me the problems which have led to actual blight.
                      This is exactly the same as me, usually July IIRC.

In between the late bad frosts and the early blight this year, it looks like we will have had a very short totally organic potato season.

Comment

I just logged in to the blightwatch site for the first time, apparently Sun, Mon, Tue and Wed of this week were all full smith criteria days.
                        Fun.

Of course, I've not got anything ready for putting on the plants so I guess I'm down to the prayer method right now. We'll see.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X