Bl**dy sparrows!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bl**dy sparrows!

Don't let anyone (ie the RSPB!) tell you that the sparrow population is declining! They are alive and reproducing at a rate of knots in the hedge round my garden. I have had OH constructing frames round my raised beds all weekend and covering them with netting to keep the little b*ggers from stripping my cav nero, lettuces, peas and broccoli.
    Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

I haven't seen a house sparrow anywhere near my garden for a number of years...
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

i have three sparrow nests in my clematis along a south facing wall,but very little damage so far(fingers crossed)

Comment

I have to protect from wood pigeons but the healthy sparrow population here don't cause any problems, touch wood!

Comment

They certainly are alive and well in East Yorks, Cupcake.
          I have 2 little ones that perch on my sweet pea frame. We call them Dobby and Winky after the house-elves. They aren't doing much damage though. It's the bladdy pigeons that eat stuff.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My gardens full of sparrows as I feed them all year long with no problems to any veg I grow at home Its the pesky pigeons up on my lottie that I have had to net up against to stop them eating my brassicas, my neighbour has lost most of his cabbages to the pesky things..
            Chris

My Allotment Journal @
            Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
            -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
              I haven't seen a house sparrow anywhere near my garden for a number of years...
              Would you like some of ours????? 1 million be enough .

The RSPB need to do their annual sparrow count in our garden. They only need to watch my mangetout frames and strawberry nets for a few minutes to realise that whatever else might be in decline, Sparrows certainly are NOT .

OH and I believe the reason for such a successful colony in our garden is due to the fact that it is surrounded by mature native hedges, we don't have cats and prikka-strip around the top of the fence dissuades moggy from venturing into our garden so the small bird population feels nice and secure.

Reet
              x

Comment

I thought it was pigeons eating my cabbages, until I went to the allotment garden today and surprised a flock of around 15 sparrows having a go at some cabbage plants I haven't managed to net yet. I was surprised as I hadn't thought they would be the problem!
                I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I understand your frustration as I have had my seedlings pecked to bits but unfortunately they are declining, house sparrows are down 65 per cent since 1970 and tree sparrows are down 93 per cent in the same period.
                  Anyone who does have sparrows visiting their garden is very lucky - well worth the effort of putting up a few bits of netting imo.

Comment

I also have a healthy sparrow population in my garden. Thought they were lovely little things until they ate all the leaves off my seedling beetroots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X