Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion of sub-arctic tomatos?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup.
    Why don't you grow some nice sunny tomatoes?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Blair View Post
      It seems like the tamatos that can grow in cold conditions taste bad or not good.
      That's because they are natives of South America. You always get the best results if you can replicate the plants favoured growing conditions.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

You know- I've never tried them- but I certainly won't be tempted to now!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I just got 11 seeds in the post but not sure what to do with them now.

They say sow early sping on the packet. But I think I would rather sow other types next year. Is it worth giving them a try now? I thought sub-artic meant it would do okay in autumn.

Comment

It probably means they are more hardy???

I'd have thought it's too late to plant them now- but why not try a couple and see?

You never know- if you plant a couple next year, you may like them- everyone's tastebuds are different!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

hmmm.. gutter,, I have five of sub artic plenty plants and on average there are 15-20 flowers on each of them, the variety seems to be breeded for cold climates and apparently not to taste better, but i think the nutritional value will be the same. So they can be treated as ones from super markets and perhaps more fresh then those...Instead of using in salads you can use them in currys where the other spices will also raise the taste of the curry all in all...
              So dont be disappointed totally..
              http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

Comment

to northepaul,i got the black russian from kings seeds......hope that helps

Comment

I grew Sub Artic Plenty two years in a row just to be sure i didn't just get a bad crop the first year.
                  I wouldn't waste the space on growing them again when there's such a huge variety of better tasting toms on the market.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                    I grew Sub Artic Plenty two years in a row just to be sure i didn't just get a bad crop the first year.
                    I wouldn't waste the space on growing them again when there's such a huge variety of better tasting toms on the market.
                    me too from next time... this time i didnt dare to ask a question like this
                    Last edited by falkon; 10-06-2010, 10:57 PM.
                    http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry but this is the best tomato in the world

I've experimented with growing about 100 varieties and I'm only growing SAP's from now on. They're not just tangy and salty, they're like a punch to the face of tomato flavor. I wasn't even going to try them because how good can a tomato be with the name arctic in it. I thought it would be dry and thick-skinned and taste like straw like big San Marzanos. The opposite was true. Where have they been all my life. I looked at the images and I have the flattish ones. (Some images had them round like cherry tomatoes.) When dried they taste like candy.

Comment

Originally posted by ralfcis View Post
                        I've experimented with growing about 100 varieties and I'm only growing SAP's from now on. They're not just tangy and salty, they're like a punch to the face of tomato flavor. I wasn't even going to try them because how good can a tomato be with the name arctic in it. I thought it would be dry and thick-skinned and taste like straw like big San Marzanos. The opposite was true. Where have they been all my life. I looked at the images and I have the flattish ones. (Some images had them round like cherry tomatoes.) When dried they taste like candy.
                        Do you have any photos you could post here ralfcis? I’m curious because I saved seed from a supposedly Sub Artic Plenty a few years ago, noting that it must have crossed as it looked differeant than expected / the pack photo. It must have been reasonable to eat or I wouldn’t have saved the seed. I doubt the seed I saved in 2007 would germinate now but tempted to give it a try in case it’s the same ‘flat fruited’ sort you mention.
                        All at once I hear your voice
                        And time just slips away
                        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

The seed from 2007 may germinate.
                          Tomato seed last a long time.
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 10-09-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Hello and welcome, ralfcis. Sounds like you've got people intrigued. What else do you grow?

Comment

Originally posted by ralfcis View Post
                              I've experimented with growing about 100 varieties and I'm only growing SAP's from now on.
                              Interesting, my experience with SAP is that they didn't taste anything special, much the same as most of the other red standard sized tomatoes. Fortunately we all have different tastes and (as you suggest) there are thousands of cultivars to try. One thing I do remember is that there were a whole range of shapes and sizes from the same plants.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
                                One thing I do remember is that there were a whole range of shapes and sizes from the same plants.
                                That may have solved my saved seed mystery
                                All at once I hear your voice
                                And time just slips away
                                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X