No announcement yet.

No wonder parsnip is a swear word

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLADDY PARSNIPS, I actually have some that have germinated and maybe, just maybe will have enough for a couple of weeks maybe a months worth of roast dinners - at one roast a week........... all that blood sweat and tears..........
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Talk about beginners' luck! I knew parnips were hard to get going and gave up when the ones I carefully sowed and put in a propogator didn't do anything. I chucked a few seeds on to the tiny bed I'd made in front of the greenhouse and forgot about them. I now have very healthy plants about a foot high and growing away nicely.

The only trouble is, I don't suppose the beginners' luck will last for next year.
      Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

This is my second year of trying to grow parsnips .. so have to admit defeat!

I read that having a warm bed aids germination, but not willing to share with them ... lol. Seriously though, I did cover area with fleece before sowing seeds and weather has been warm, so what's the problem?

Will now plant something less temperamental.
        Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
        - Aristotle

Comment

This is my first year of growing parsnips and i am so proud as they are notoriously difficult. I sowed my seeds in toilet rolls (2 per roll) and then planted them out so if anything did not pop up, i would know about it and replace with alternatives, well all i can say is that i was weeding out the smaller seedling from most of the rolls and only had 3 not show through and they are now about 10" high.

All i can say is good things come to those who wait

Comment

Originally posted by Dane End Dolly View Post
            This is my first year of growing parsnips and i am so proud as they are notoriously difficult. I sowed my seeds in toilet rolls (2 per roll) and then planted them out so if anything did not pop up, i would know about it and replace with alternatives, well all i can say is that i was weeding out the smaller seedling from most of the rolls and only had 3 not show through and they are now about 10" high.

All i can say is good things come to those who wait
            Well done Dolly .... no chance for me now that I've outed the lot! What a good idea to use toilet rolls so can identify where they should be .. maybe give them another go next year ... who knows maybe 3rd time lucky ....
            Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
            - Aristotle

Comment

Just to add insult to injury I have a few great ones that I have carefully nurtured but in every other pot in the garden I have bladdy parsnips popping up. It seems the harder you treat them the better they like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                It seems the harder you treat them the better they like it.
                Oh yeah. I sowed a whole row early on lovingly-prepared fine-tilled earth under little individual cloche thingies - no signs of life for months and months. I chitted a few on kitchen paper (and they took an age to germinate) and transplanted them - even fewer signs of life. I threw my hands in the air and planted them out perfectly normally, but much later, and they seem to be germinating at last.

That is the last time I ever give p*nips special treatment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X