X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
    must remember not to be such a tight wad
    Save your own pea seed
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I always find it difficult to germinate peas and beans I'm learning slowly

Comment

I shall be trying for the third time this weekend i am having a struggle this year everything else growing but Peas are a nono this year..jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Put damp compost in a large freezer bag, put in a couple of handsful peas or beans, tie the top of the bag and put in a warm place. Inspect daily until you see small tap-roots. Take out the germinated peas and plant, into the ground if warm enough, or into pots. Put the bag back into the airing cupbord and inspect daily etc.
          Not my cunning plan but one by a chap who wrote a book about gardening on a Welsh allotment.(Terry Wilson)

Comment

No problems this year. Started sugarsnap and mangetout in toilet roll inners in the GH but direct sown have germinated as well. And the dried peas from morrisons have germinated 100% which I am using for peashoots in containers.
            Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

People seem to have had varying results.

When I resowed mine I put a plastic ring cloche over each row.
              To early to tell yet.
              Also It's not rained properly here in Preston for a long time.
              Probably a official drought soon.

I put some french beans in a length of old guttering a few weeks ago and left them on th GH bench. Nearly 100% germinated.
              I have a ring cloche warming some ground ready to slide them in, soon.

Jimmy
              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Add my name to the "non sprouting" list Jimmy, 3 weeks ago planted peas and not a sausage.Replanted 2 days ago. I am in Sussex (and me a Geordie) so would expect ground not too cold now. Even the ones I planted in modules for salad pea shoots failed. Though to be fair I only used steepy peas for those so could be the reason.

Comment

Just sown mine into a large pot, outside, at the beginning of the week so too early to tell. Mine are Hurst Green Shaft and I'm in Scotland.

Comment

Not sowed any direct so far this year but have got very good germination with guttering down Pilot (saved seeds from last year) and Telephone (new seeds), both of which are now planted out and climbing nicely. The Serpette Guilloteau weren't quite as good but the seed was pretty old (about 4 years?) and still good enough to make a reasonable row. Also more or less 100% germination from guttering sold saved seed of Golden Sweet mange tout and Poppet, Gladstone and Panthers in root trainers (only a handful of each) as well as Norli mange tout in modules. The earliest of these were sown in the conservatory under a plastic cover which was removed as soon as they germinated and then taken out to the cold greenhouse. The more recent ones were just sown in the greenhouse. I NEVER chit peas as I don't think you need to but am careful not to overwater as they will rot. Will probably be direct sowing some purple podded this weekend and possibly another row of golden sweet.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I put about 20 in a tray in the mini greenhouse on 11th April.I didn't do anything like damp paper towel I just stuck them straight in the trays with some clingfilm over the top. I have 6 that have come up so far.... whereas the ones I planted direct in the garden last year did so much better,I think pretty much 90% came up.
                      I'm still a newbie though so I'm testing things out and giving it a go...and keeping notes!
                      This cold weather has put me off putting much in the garden direct and the rain and hail is stopping me from getting it ready to be planted anyway. If it does improve I'm going to sow some direct.
                      They had loads in the greenhouse at Clumber Park last weekend. I was sooooo tempted to pinch and eat one
                      Good luck with your peas.
                      Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

I've sown a 6 peas to each pot and popped them in the prop and they are about 7" tall.
                        Note to self - Move to growing pot asap!

I also sowed some directly to their growing pot a few weeks ago and they have just started to poke out of the surface. They not in a greenhouse (it's full) and exposed to the elements and so far so good.

They were watered when planted and then every 3 days to prevent seed rot.

Comment

This is my first year growing peas so I don't know what's a good or bad year but I know that it took over 4 weeks for some of them to germinate and I've probably got maybe 1/3rd of the peas I've sown to sprout. I'm going to plant some more soon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X