No announcement yet.

Best Peas For Their Shoots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Raven recommends 'Serge' but I've only ever seen it in her seed offerings ;-)
    Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
      I've sown Oregon Sugar Pod for shoots, so will be interested to see what they taste like!
      Also used Oregon as this was the variety recommended when I googled it.
      They taste good in a mixed salad & are very easy & quick to grow.
      Am now growing Leo so will be interested to see the difference.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by trish60 View Post
        Hi Trish,

Can you remember (roughly) how many seeds were sown in the pot?
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

There was very little room between each pea and I soaked them the night before so they expanded but I don`t know how many.

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
            On Alys Fowler's The Edible Garden she grew Pea Shoots and used Leo Dried Peas 250g available from Asda for 36p!!!

I've bought and sown some...fingers crossed they'll be yummy!!!
            I tried that and the shoots came up really well until the birds found them !!!

Comment

Originally posted by kilnburner10 View Post
              My peas for shoots are in the cold frame - lights propped open.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They did not have leo ones in Morrisons so I got the Batchelors bigga dried peas - do you think they would work the same??

Comment

Yes - any pea will do. I was going to use some for shoots but decided to grow them on instead. I couldn't bear cutting them off in their prime!

Comment

Thank you very much Flummery :-)

Comment

Anyone know if you can grow peas like beansprouts, (in a jamjar, no compost, just rinse once a day), then eat the shoot and seed?
                      Save Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock. Coma and Painted Lady butterflies. Dont cut stinging nettles in summer.
                      Only cut nettles grown in the shade.

Comment

I can't see why not - other than that the pea would be hard to digest. It's not like a fresh pea. It's the sort of pea that needs an hour's cooking after an overnight soak. I think they'd be jolly tough going.

Comment

harvested my first lot of pea shoots on Saturday for a salad and they were yummmmm
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Originally posted by kilnburner10 View Post
                            I've planted the same ones in a trough after watching the same programme.
                            I never thought of birds getting at them..!
                            I have net around my direct sown Delikett but never thought about my pea shoot trough. Thanks for the heads up.
                            P.S I have to say that my direct sown peas seem to be doing ok despite the variable weather but I have popped the fleece around them tonight.
                            I used Delikett ones last year...delicious but not many made it to the pot as they got munched by the kids as soon as they spotted them.
                            Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

Originally posted by trish60 View Post
                              Leo seeds have now grown & I think they are vastly inferior to the oregon variety.
                              Leo have grown well but are much tougher, have less flavour & loads more tendrils.
                              No competition as far as I am concerned,

Comment

Please take care:

I never use young shoots from packets of garden seed unless they have been sold specifically for that purpose. I may be a bit paranoid but some seeds (particularly from overseas) are treated with some very nasty poisons, residues of which may hang around until the plants have gained some maturity.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X