no compost growing, suggestions please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
    So I gather from the answers that soil of one form or another is the only or preferred choice and there is no other weird and wonderful medium that anyone else uses or has tried.??
    Well there is hydroponics.

Not sure what you expect, plants need soil with nutrients in it.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
      Well there is hydroponics.

Not sure what you expect, plants need soil with nutrients in it.
      sorry for the confusion womble.

It was my understanding that seeds have all they need to get going and there may be something other than soil that would do in the absence of potting compost that could be used.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Well seeds, if you stick any seeds on damp paper they will sprout.... at least I think any will, I suppose there are some special ones that need something novel.
        But once they sprout they need something to grow in.

You said you didn't want to go to the shops, I expect you could buy your coir or vermiculite or even sand out at the shops.

Hydroponics grow plants in fibre glass I believe, but if you've got earth out in the garden....?
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Thinking hydroponics.....How about experimenting with blocks of sponge? i.e like the regular kitchen washing up sponge. Cut one up into 1"x1" blocks, in a shallow tray with a a very,very dilute growing solution to keep the sponge damp while the seedling is growing.
          My 2014 No Dig Allotment
          My 2013 No Dig Allotment
          My 2012 No Dig Allotment
          My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

That's a good idea Lazgaot, just the kind of thing I was asking about, thank you.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

If the issue for you is getting the compost, then, believe it or not, your milkman can deliver that to you! Have a look at milk&more.

Comment

Originally posted by BenLothair View Post
                If the issue for you is getting the compost, then, believe it or not, your milkman can deliver that to you! Have a look at milk&more.
                No, its not that. It was just that I had run out and got to thinking that there may be some other way of getting seedlings going long enough to plant out on lottie.

I used to have a milkman and he did do compost (not that I ever got any from him), but things changed and I stopped the deliveries. Thanks though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X