Important Poll: Tell GYO What You Think

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
    Really... what is the point of this loaded poll?...to buoy us along with self satisfaction? Get real here! The fact is even if we have made the choice as individuals not to use it and actively seek out alternatives; we probably still buy food or plants or flowers that have been raised/started in peat. Industry use is still massive and I don't see any labelling saying 'peat free' on products apart from potting compost.
    Beautifully put, Paulottie

Comment

I ticked the 'sometimes use it if nothing else is available' option as if I need a bag at short notice I can only go locally as I don't drive & can't carry a big pack so tend to nip to the local hardware shop which only sells 'with peat'. I've used New Horizon 'peat-free' in the past & found it very good.Not all peat free compost is of good quality & very little of it is suitable for seed sowing as it's often far too coarse/dry/wet/lumpy etc. even if you try to sieve it. I also use a lot of my own homemade compost but generally have to mix it with other bought in compost as it can be too rich on it's own. If peat-free was all made to a certain standard & was readily available then I'm sure more gardeners would choose it.
      I'm also interested in the figures about usage too, I understood a lot of peat was used by power stations but maybe this is mainly in Ireland & isn't included in these figures if it's only U.K.? We have a peat moss across the other side of our town where extraction has gone on for generations & it's only now that people are trying to get this slowed down.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

like sarraceniac I find nothing else but peat will do for carnivourous plants .I switched my general use compost to peat free when it first became available BUT and its a big one the quality of most peat free composts is terrible as stated earlier,sticks ,bits of wire and plastic and a seemingly lower fertility,didn't the GYO tests last year show that b&q multipurpose compost (which is or was peat based) came top.
        i'm all for saving our wetland habitat but don't foist off recycled and improperly prepared substandard "compost " that I've already paid the council to take away in my brown bin,so that you can make a fat profit and tell me it's good for the environment.
        Last edited by snakeshack; 21-04-2010, 11:27 PM. Reason: bad grammar
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Unfortunately my main concern when buying MPC is the cost. I tend to use a lot of MPC in a year and when I can get 4 bags for £12 then I don't look to see what is in it. I do believe however that most of the DIY stores are reducing the amount of peat in MPC and this year I am finding a fair amount of wool, wood chip and other waste products.

Ian

Comment

I've always tried to buy peat free compost, but the other day bought 3 bags for £12 from local garden centre and it's just rubbish. Loads of twigs and stuff and doesn't hold moisture at all, very dry. Have sown some seeds but not hopeful they will come up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X