Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by organic View Post
    Haha - I won't be holding my breath.

One bee in my bonnet about the link is "...tackle the twin challenges of childhood obesity and climate change", or words to that effect.

Firstly - they are not twin challenges.
    Secondly - while I'm sure it's a great way to get politicians to get behind it, and while I agree that we really need to move to more local and home grown models of agriculture it always makes me roll my eyes when I see someone suggest that getting kids learning how to grow veg will somehow turn a changable climate into a stable one.
    One bee, yet two points?

Getting kids (in the UK) to start learning about GTO and the wider environment may not solve the World's climate issues, but it's a start - and let's face it, every journey has to have one.

I for one think it's worth applauding and encouraging, regardless of backing.

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

thanks i have passed on the link to a friend who is a teacher xx
      http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

HW - a point for each wing.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fantastic to get kids learning about GYO. In fact, it could be a fantastic way to get past the reality that kids often follow in their parents footsteps with things like food and gardening.

I just know how formalising exciting things can often make them really dry and actually be counter productive.

The Irish language is beautiful, descriptive and alive... but the way it has been taught for so long has many people I know who went to English-language schools in Ireland seeing the language in the way many people here see History and Geography. Boring as hell and if they never have to do it again they'll die happy.

It's a shame but that's what bad teaching can do.
        Two of my cousins, who have been to an Irish-language school (gaelscoil) from infants to leaving cert used the language as it really is - and when with their friends they default to Gaelic. It's only when with non-native speakers that they speak English.

Just like the Irish language in gaelscoileanna, if they can formalise it and yet keep it "normal" and not kill the excitement it could start a mini revolution in local food production and I can't see a single negative point to that regardless of how it's sold to the powers that be.

Comment

Originally posted by organic View Post
          HW - a point for each wing.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fantastic to get kids learning about GYO. In fact, it could be a fantastic way to get past the reality that kids often follow in their parents footsteps with things like food and gardening.

I just know how formalising exciting things can often make them really dry and actually be counter productive.

The Irish language is beautiful, descriptive and alive... but the way it has been taught for so long has many people I know who went to English-language schools in Ireland seeing the language in the way many people here see History and Geography. Boring as hell and if they never have to do it again they'll die happy.

It's a shame but that's what bad teaching can do.
          Two of my cousins, who have been to an Irish-language school (gaelscoil) from infants to leaving cert used the language as it really is - and when with their friends they default to Gaelic. It's only when with non-native speakers that they speak English.

Just like the Irish language in gaelscoileanna, if they can formalise it and yet keep it "normal" and not kill the excitement it could start a mini revolution in local food production and I can't see a single negative point to that regardless of how it's sold to the powers that be.
          One man's excitement is another man's monotony.

I think bee's have four...
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Aye, but teaching things badly can guarantee monotony for all but the monotonous.

You're right about bees too. Having never looked that closely (and from what I can remember only being able to see two when not in flight) that comment sent me to Wikipedia and indeed they do have 4.
            I'll go and hang my head.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X