No announcement yet.

GYO Needs Your Help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, I'm please to report that my terrace now has a few more containers taking up space! Very exciting times Thanks for all your advice.

Does anyone have any ongoing container growing tips to share?

Thanks
    Emma
    www.crafts-beautiful.com

Comment

As far as watering goes I've found that for crops which need a lot of watering such as courgettes do well in 'self-watering' tubs, I got a couple of plastic ones a few years ago from Lidl which have reservoirs in the bottom & indicator sticks to let you know when the levels fall. You could probably rig something similar up yourself but they were pretty cheap to buy.
      To try & avoid blight on outdoor tomatoes as well I've grown them in plastic 'ring culture' inserts in grow bags with a plastic grow bag greenhouse around them which does usually give some protection but unfortunately they've eventually been caught the last couple of years.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I will give the thumbs up to self watering tubs - the reservoir system is something I have used for years with my hanging baskets and moved to these types of tubs for my outdoor toms recently - it made a great deal of differences as the plants were not so stressed and I was not watering all the time either.

What ever else you do get the watering right - it means good crops regardless.

Comment

I grow Garden Pearl tomatoes in those supermarket flower buckets, one per bucket, I get them free at Asda, just ask the nice man at the door near the flowers.
          I drill holes about an inch up the sides to allow drainage, but to have a tiny reservoir at the bottom. You should fill this with stones, but I've seen very little difference not doing that.
          Being in pots you can move them to where ever is warmest and sunniest. I bring them into my porch towards the end of the season to protect from blight, sometimes one or two much earlier, to give myself an each way bet on the blight.
          Last edited by womble; 16-04-2010, 10:21 AM.
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

If you want free container and have a pet shop you usually go to ask them if they would let you have the packing containers tropical fish are delivered in. These are polystyrene boxes which are a decent size. They come with lids that can be broken up for drainage or put over the container, strapped down or they will blow away, as a form of frost protection if the plants are cut right down for winter.

As they are pretty much squared off you can get more in to the same space compared to similar sized round pots.

They can be painted if white polystyrene is a tad harsh to look at.

Comment

I was very successful last year with Balconi tomatoes and basil grown in hanging baskets - had them dotted around the outside of the house and garage instead of the usual flowers. They didn't get blighted either - they did need watering every day if it had been a warm one though. To help water retention I did line the baskets with grass clippings before filling with MPC.

Comment

This year I'm trying to grow early peas in a plastic flower trough (I kept them in the greenhouse from Feb so that they didn't have to face the bad weather). I have Strawberries in herb planters and I'm seeing if I can grow lettuce in an Old but very deep Kitty Litter tray so that I can keep them away from the dreaded slugs.

Comment

My garden is small. No room for veg patches so it is entirely an edible container kitchen. To help with water retaining I chop up oasis blocks and add to compost.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Brengirl; 25-04-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X