Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes in pots?

hi

We are new to growing potatoes, we chit them for 3-4 weeks and then yest i put 4-5 in each potato sack ( the green plastic ones!!!) My question is i have put them in about 6" of soil and have not watered them but they are on our patio and it has rained all night and a lot today do you think i should put them in the shed for a bit as i don't want them to get to waterlogged??

sorry if these sounds a bit silly we are new!!!
    New to this gardening lark... fingers slowly turning green!

Yes, that might be a good plan; it's not ideal to water the spuds until they start showing green shoots.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...0-a_26499.html
      Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Tattieman, the acknowledged expert, says not to water for a week after planting so yes, move them somewhere drier if it looks like more rain.

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
          Tattieman, the acknowledged expert, says not to water for a week after planting so yes, move them somewhere drier if it looks like more rain.
          How does that work if there in the ground
          http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

yeah i was thinking that greengas!!!!

I think i will move them to a more sheltered spot.

Comment

Hi guys. The reason I say no water for a week is so that you don't just wash any fertilizer you have just added to the bag straight out the drainage holes in the bottom.
              If they are in the ground you can't control when it rains but the fertilizer will most likely be granular or a pellet so won't wash away.
              When you add the compost to your bag it should be just moist enough so that it sticks together in your hand when you squeeze it but it should not be soaking wet.
              The common mistake made with container growing is over watering. Potatoes will not require alot of water until later in the season when they are bulking up.
              Potato videos here.

Comment

ok thanks so should i cover them or move them as the soil is getting very wet with all this rain we are having?

Comment

The water will just drain out when it rains so you will have to add a bit more feeding to your compost mix when you top it up.
                  Potato videos here.

Comment

Thanks tattieman you always come up with the goods
                    http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have my two half barrels planted up and they are outdoors. I have clear plastic covering over the tops of the barrels secured with elastic. I won't be taking the plastic off until the shoots show through. I grow my potatoes like this every year and it works for me. Hope this will help.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

So.....what do you suggest I feed my spuds, still no sign of them, I put them out yesterday onto the patio because we had...wait for it....SUN

E x

Comment

Potato fertiliser is as the name suggests good for potatoes. Personally I use chicken pellets for most things.The potato fertiliser is 20:10:10 which means it has plenty of nitrogen for the roots.

Ian

Comment

Can you use blood,fish& bone on spuds?

E x
                            Last edited by Elaineb; 24-03-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X