No announcement yet.

Pak Choi

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow Tatsoi every year - very hardy for a pak choi so a good winter veg. Its just about to bolt from and August sowing but a good cut down now will produce a few more leaves before they go over. They are nice salad leaves as well.

The ruby one did well from last July sowing as well and is making another appearance now.

I do not plant before July because of slugs and its tendency to bolt. Personally I don't like the tall spoon ones as they are wasteful - so much veg from just a few sewings. They stayed under nets all the time last year and this really helped.

Mizuna is a really good alternative if you like uncooked leaves.

Comment

I avoid most of the slug problems by growing it in large tubs. Sowed some last september and overwintered it in the greenhouse and it's storming away at the moment.

Comment

Sorry to bump this,but just went out to check mine (sowed last month (march) - following packets guidelines) I've two rows, probably about 20 in each row (planning to thin out for salads).. I've planted the Ruby F1 variety... they're probably around 4 inches tall already - really beautiful looking veg, should I resow later on?

in terms of bolting will it produce a long stalk so I can see (can I just remove this too?)

Thanks!

Comment

I've been using these for a couple of years. As a previous post they lasted well into winter, but they hate warm weather and slugs love them. I don't sow until mid July. Also grow Mibuna and Mizua.
          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I'll use this lot as salad leaves then, and then resow July/Aug - ta.

Comment

Oh,now I'm worried. Of all the seeds I have sown the Pak Choi is the one that has so far been the most successful. I have pots and pots full of beautiful looking plants. I transplanted 12 of them into a lottie bed today and have another 20 or so in the greenhouse ready for hardening off soon. Maybe I should keep those in the greenhouse instead of planting them out?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                Sorry to bump this,but just went out to check mine (sowed last month (march) - following packets guidelines) I've two rows, probably about 20 in each row (planning to thin out for salads).. I've planted the Ruby F1 variety... they're probably around 4 inches tall already - really beautiful looking veg, should I resow later on?

Originally posted by Curly-kale View Post
                Oh,now I'm worried. Of all the seeds I have sown the Pak Choi is the one that has so far been the most successful. I have pots and pots full of beautiful looking plants. I transplanted 12 of them into a lottie bed today and have another 20 or so in the greenhouse ready for hardening off soon. Maybe I should keep those in the greenhouse instead of planting them out?
                Chris/CK, I've got 6 in the bed now (picture in link below) and 15 more on the go in the polly tunnel, unless something goes horribly wrong I was intending succession sowing though out the summer? That said don't take my word for it as it's my first year growing them!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ery_46807.html
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

Had some as salad leaves yesterday, not bad not bad.. Tasted a bit earthy. Really nice looking crop though

Comment

Have to say its one of the easiest things to grow, my wife is chinese, and we both love eating Pak Choi.

Last year, grew about 3 diff varieties, put in maybe 500-600 seeds, think most came up, grew about 4 batches, all came up, didnt get eaten by slugs, but did use copper tape around raised beds.

Put in seed, watered in, and up they came, if they bolt, you can still eat, ours got hugeeeeeeee!!!

Got photos if anyone wants to see!
                    PM me!
                    An atheist is someone who denies altogether the existence of God. I'm an agnostic. An agnostic is someone who believes that there can be no proof of the existence of God, but does not deny the possibility that God exists.

http://stuartscornerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

aye, do post em!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                        Rarely had any success myself...combination of bolting, slugs and pigeons...I keep trying though as it gives me something to compost.

Growing one called Ivory at the mo...best grown in cool season like spinach.
                        O

Try using a cloche glass or plastic to stop pigeons, we have them here and they cant get past my cloches!

Comment

Oh that reminds me, I'm sowing pak choi too next weekend!
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                            Oh that reminds me, I'm sowing pak choi too next weekend!
                            Which varieties do you like? I've got 'Santoh' from Real Seeds but it's more like a floppy lettuce. Bought some 'White F1' from T&M to try this year instead.

Comment

I've tried lots of different varieties in the polytunnel and outside, there is a variety called Kuro which grows OK, but have pretty much given up on standard Pak Choi and instead now grow Tai Sai, which is like Pak Choi on steroids and it is much much easier to grow here in the UK, Real Seeds have it I think.
                              Each head can grow a good 12" high, it is very good for all your asian cookery needs too
                              Death to all slugs!

Comment

Yuushou always works great for me....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2381959
                                He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse