Alpaca Muck - Anyone used it before?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpaca Muck - Anyone used it before?

A member of our local freecycle group offered free alpaca poo which I picked up last weekend. Anyone used it before? On one website for another Alpaca farm it said it was highly recommended by Gardener's World but didn't say why.

Assume it can be used like any other farmyard muck. It is mixed with hay/straw but all from the farm which is organic.

Planning to use it for potatoes and other "greedy" veg like squash and courgette. My potato book says to plant seed potatoes, 5-6" down, cover with soil and spread the muck over that. By the time the leaves come through the plant should be mature enough and shouldn't burn. Squash and courgette are going into big bags with muck at bottom and compost on top. One plant per bag against a trellis.

Anything else it would be suitable to use it on?

And anyone in this area that is interested in getting some it is available all year round. PM me and I'll give out the contact details.

"... I went from adolescence to senility, trying to bypass maturity ..." - Tom Lehrer
    Earth Wind and Fire

Here you go...

http://www.safehavenlas.org/uploads/..._rev_6.09_.pdf

apparently it doesn't need composting before use!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Superb stuff...the friends from whom I took on my allotment many years ago kept alpacas. Lottie came with a big pile of it!...They moved to Worcs or I'd ask them...Yorks is a stretch from here too but thanks for the offer.
      Last edited by Paulottie; 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
        Superb stuff...the friends from whom I took on my allotment many years ago kept alpacas. Lottie came with a big pile of it!...They moved to Worcs or I'd ask them...Yorks is a stretch from here too but thanks for the offer.
        If you go to the Alpaca Society website's members page and put in your region it will list all the places that have Alpacas in your area. As there are 19000 in the UK there will be probably be a "poo patch" near you.

PedeWeb - Member Search Parameters

Nicos, I know I've said that I'm a tea drinker but "Bean Tea" maybe taking it a bit too far....oh, it's for the veggies...

"... I went from adolescence to senility, trying to bypass maturity ..." - Tom Lehrer
        Earth Wind and Fire

Comment

Seem to remember readng that you can just put a "pellet" or two in pots and hanging baskets.
          Not tried it myself, however there is someone not far away that keeps Llamas or Alpacas or something along those lines. Might have to have a word.
          Last edited by COMPOST CORNER; 11-03-2010, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by COMPOST CORNER View Post
            Seem to remember readng that you can just put a "pellet" or two in pots and hanging baskets.
            Not tried it myself, however there is someone not far away that keeps Llamas or Alpacas or something along those lines. Might have to have a word.
            It seems that you can use it even if it hasn't broken down completely which is good as the lot I got certainly hasn't.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X