Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
    Reading the 'official' SFG message board, they seem to suggest 16 is for green onions (which presumably are like spring onions?). Some plant at 16 then thin to 9 or 4 as the season progresses.
    Won't be spring onions, unless you're growing one with a 10cm gap all round, which would be silly.

You can literally mulisow a whole bunch of 8 - 10 in a 10cm square and that's being extremely generous with spacing

Comment

• Originally posted by kernow24 View Post
      Won't be spring onions, unless you're growing one with a 10cm gap all round, which would be silly.

You can literally mulisow a whole bunch of 8 - 10 in a 10cm square and that's being extremely generous with spacing
      How long do they take to Germinate? Mine have had 2 weeks and no action.

Comment

• Originally posted by .commander View Post
        How long do they take to Germinate? Mine have had 2 weeks and no action.
        In March, when it's a bit cold, they take at least two weeks. If they aren't up in another week I'd have another go.

Or, you could sow small pinches of 8-10 seed in modules on a windowsill, then plant out 9 modules per square foot once they have come up and un-looped. You'll give them a good head start that way.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Mine took just under 3 weeks in an unheated greenhouse.

Comment

• Thanks all.

I'll give them a week before I sow again.

Comment

• Planted my first ever spud today in a marked out square foot grid.

Comment

• After a few years of not growing anything I'm back to it and again using square foot method after successful seasons in the past.

Beds are in good shape and fed, still working on my planting plan and will grow what worked best last time I did this.

Growing carrots, climbing beans, spring onions, celery, chard and salad leaves for starters. The exotics for this year are Poona kheera cucumber and Australian yellow lettuce. I might try dwarf kale but protect with fleece from the butterflies.

Tomatoes and courgettes take up to much space in the beds so will be going in to pots.

Nice to be back!
                Last edited by cazp; 04-04-2020, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cazp View Post
                  After a few years of not growing anything I'm back to it and again using square foot method after successful seasons in the past.

Beds are in good shape and fed, still working on my planting plan and will grow what worked best last time I did this.

Growing carrots, climbing beans, spring onions, celery, chard and salad leaves for starters. The exotics for this year are Poona kheera cucumber and Australian yellow lettuce. I might try dwarf kale but protect with fleece from the butterflies.

Tomatoes and courgettes take up to much space in the beds so will be going in to pots.

Nice to be back!

I did Poona kheera cucumbers last year - they were really good, easy to grow, but they grew everywhere - much more than one square (unless there is some trick I am missing - last year was my first year of SFG...)

Comment

• I’ve sown onion sets at about two weeks ago. Calabres, sweetcorn and tomato plants are all in the propagator until they’re ready to plant out.

Comment

• What spacing do you use for sweetcorn?

Comment

• I plant the sweetcorn about twelve inches apart,where you’ve got the twelve inch gap between plants,a couple of squash plants fit in nicely & can trail around the ground going where they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrCMB99 View Post
                          I did Poona kheera cucumbers last year - they were really good, easy to grow, but they grew everywhere - much more than one square (unless there is some trick I am missing - last year was my first year of SFG...)
                          It's interesting to know they coped well growing outdoors as I was hoping to reserve one square of the raised bed to see how it grows .. there is a fence adjacent I can grow it across if it's likely to take over. As backup if it didnt do well outside I planned to grow one plant in the mini 6ft plastic greenhouse as I had great success growing Dragons Egg Cucumber this way, but from what you say it may take over the space!

Comment

• I'd like to grow some Calendula in the square foot garden this year.. Can anyone advise good spacing for this? the packet says it has a 30cm spread suggesting one square, however I've seen other posts online suggesting 4 plants. Advice appreciated, thank you!

Comment

• I'd like to grow some Calendula in the square foot garden this year.. Can anyone advise good spacing for this? the packet says it has a 30cm spread suggesting one square, however I've seen other posts online suggesting 4 plants. Advice appreciated, thank you!

Comment

• You can grow cucumber up a cane to stop them spreading everywhere. Calendula does spread to about 30cm as they come back again the next year expanding in size. You could lift the plants & put them in a pot overwinter outside if you wanted or leave them in the bed. For the first year maybe you could have four per square,then lift & separate in the autumn?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X