No announcement yet.

Container ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emma i grow all my veg in containers, buckets and pots, then my parsnips are in a builders tub its about half as long as a bath but deeper. One of my best finds was half a dozen of those huge paint pots that builders use I grew carrots in those last year
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We grow shallow rooted stuff in guttering e.g. watercress... you can also use it to start some seedlings off .... it doesn't take up much space, ours is fixed on the top of a couple of raised beds

Take a look on your local freecycle ....that's how we got ours
      Why not pop a wanted post on freecycle or if you see anyone nearby having new guttering ask them if they'll let you have it...

'where there's a will, there's a way!'
      Last edited by leicestershirelass; 16-02-2010, 05:01 PM.
      Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
      - Aristotle

Comment

Welcome to the Grapevine, Emma. I was new last year and these guys and gals are a great help to the novices like me. I've also had to give up my allotment so will be doing a lot in containers. If you any piece of garden available try square foot planting. that's the other thing I'm trying this year. Google it and look at Mel Bartholomew's site. Picked up this tip her on the 'vine.

Just had some tiling done in the bathroom and kept the big plastic buckets that had the grout in. Other containers for this year are:-

Morrisons flower buckets but my local one charges £1.99 for 8-10. Sainsbury's have just started to use massive square ones about 16" square but when I asked they have to return them to be re-used. Save the planet and all that.

Old compost bags and any i get this year for potatoes - see Tattie Man's video on YouTube or his blog. No point throwing them away when I can grow stuff in them. Going to try squash and courgette in them this year as well. Usually get the bigger bags of 60litres+ so more space in the bag to grow 4-5 in each one.

Trying out tomatoes in 2 old hanging baskets. Variety is Sweet Pea Currant that seems to be able to trail down quite well.

Oh and the green woven bags that the Council gives out for garden waste collection. Mine "blew away" after being emptied on the collection day so got 2 more delivered.

And look on eBay for big plastic barrels etc. Thanks to one of Two Sheds posts I picked up 2 x 160litre from Leeds at £6 each for water. All I need is a rain diverter and link kit. They had previously been used for water based paint and only need to be washed out with soap and water.

I'm in my local Freecycle group, got rid of the old bathroom tiles that way, and regularly post for containers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossa View Post
          Oh and the green woven bags that the Council gives out for garden waste collection. Mine "blew away" after being emptied on the collection day so got 2 more delivered.
          Off to the NORTY step
          You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

we changed from recycle boxes to blue wheely bins & the old boxes are great for tomatoes also have the glass from my old washing machine ane tumble dryer as cloches.
            the giant builders bags hold a cubic meter and are great for ready made compost bins or giant grow bags.
            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I use recycle pallets for many things

I have not tried containers but they should be ideal.
              You can construct them in any shape you want.
              Also I have considered seed trays.

Hints on dismantling pallets at ...

http://www.jlearmonth.f2s.com/RaisedBeds/

Jimmy
              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

to the thread starter..

I have grown spuds in old soil bags for two seasons.. just make some holes at the bottom and youll be fine ...

here is the thread..... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...soil-bags.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X