Potatoes and Mushroom compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes and Mushroom compost

By not reading about mushroom compost I might have damaged my potatoes, they say that you should not plant potoes in mushroom compost due to scab.

I have throw compost over the top of my ground where the potatoes are coming through, I also put two bags into my raised bed bed mixed in the soil and planted anya's in there covered with plastic, will I have to pull these out today.
    Last edited by kittykat8; 07-02-2010, 09:32 AM.

Not if they are earlies as becuase they are in the ground for a relatively short time the scab shouldn't have time to form.........allegedly!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

well lets hope the ones in the tunnel are lady crystal,swift. accent and mimi and Anya in the raised bed

thanks
      marion

Comment

Ooops...just re-read your post and realised you were planting Anya's which are second early!
        The question is, have you got anywhere else to put them?

Must admit it wouldn't bother me too much as scab can be easily rubbed off and has no effect on the rest of the spud apart from the skin!
        Last edited by Snadger; 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i could move them to another bed but have more anya to plant into the main part of the allotment may leave them and wait and see, these ones are a gamble as I planted yesterday so see if I could get some early potatoes might be fun trying to peel anyas

marion

Comment

Scab won't harm you. Like Snadger says, it's only skin deep and doesn't affect the spud taste, just the look.
            No good if you wanted to show them but perfectly OK to eat. You don't even lose a massive bit of spud either, just peel or scrape it off.
            Last year I had to plant in a new bed which was on top of turned over grass. Yes some of the spuds had a bit of scab but perfectly usable.

Comment

is mushroom compost alright for a onion bed

marion

Comment

If you are lucky you will be picking Mushrooms as well i have in the past around the roses....jacob
                What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat8 View Post
                  is mushroom compost alright for a onion bed

marion
                  It's OK but I'd save it for the brassicas and give the onions something else.... or unless you've got tons of mushroom compost for nothing.... avoid it on spuds cos of the scab though....

chrisc

Comment

I did have some spare and put in the onion bed, will the onions like it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X